Beckhoff Bx9000 over VPN

lostcontrol

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi,
What is the trick (if there is one) to accessing a Bx9000 over a VPN?
I know there is something finicky with network config when even local, when using the auto-discovery tool.
Now, nothing is discovered..

Thanks
LC

ok, so the auto-discover utility does not work, but by manually adding the route via system manager does.
(I'm guessing that the standard way of doing it anyway.. :unsure: )

next question...
I have a computer on site with twincat, & my computer over VPN.
Files are shared via DropBox. When I open on computer from VPN, the file must be re-compiled & downloaded.. Is that normal, or where the compiled version is stored?

You can save the project as an archive with compile information and referenced libraries included. That way you shouldn't have any inconsistencies.
File->Save/Mail archive. Check all lines except Log File and Bitmap Files. (You can check them, but they are not necessary)

You can save the project as an archive with compile information and referenced libraries included. That way you shouldn't have any inconsistencies.
File->Save/Mail archive. Check all lines except Log File and Bitmap Files. (You can check them, but they are not necessary)

Just tried that, but how do you open it again?
Looks like it zips everything including project path libraries etc.
When I un-zipped & tried to go online, same thing...

Yeah it just creates a regular zip-archive.
What does the prompt say when you go online? External libraries have changed, or just that it needs to recompile?
Are different versions of TwinCAT 2 used?
If you download to the controller, save the project, archive the project, unzip the archive, open it and go online again, does it still want to recompile?

Yeah it just creates a regular zip-archive.
What does the prompt say when you go online?
Nothing really, I just select Login & it re-compiles.

Are different versions of TwinCAT 2 used?
YES! :oops:
Remote PC is 32bit, local over VPN is 64...

If you download to the controller, save the project, archive the project, unzip the archive, open it and go online again, does it still want to recompile?
Can try