Beckhoff EtherCAT replacement with Redlion/Other

lukesnh0j

Hello, I have a Beckhoff TwinCAT system with local I/O and a remote EtherCat Box I/O.

The Beckhoff TwinCAT has failed and needs replacement.

Is it possible to use a Redlion system (As I'm very familiar with these) to re-use the EtherCat Box I/O Module or is there an alternative PLC that has EtherCAT comms (Omron/Schneider/AB/AD etc)

Omron NX series PLCs certainly support EtherCAT although it might be a bit tricky to correctly configure some of the ECAT slave devices in Omron Sysmac Studio software.

Don't know about any other devices you mentioned.

If you're OK with Beckhoff hardware but you just don't want to deal with TwinCAT, you could get an EK9000 Modbus-to-EtherCAT bus coupler. This would allow the I/O to be addressed from any device that supports Modbus TCP, like a Red Lion HMI. Configuration is done by setting the IP address via DIP switches, then pointing your browser to its internal webserver.

Thank you for your responses, I'm not familiar with Beckoff hence looking for alternatives.

End customer would now like Schneider so I think everything will need to be replaced.