Become a PLC programmer

flux

Hi Guys,

I've been lurking in this forum for quite sometime and finally got the courage to ask your advice. BTW I'm here Monday-Friday. I always find time to visit the forum before I start my work.

I really want to be PLC programmer/Controls Tech.. and just want an opinion from experts in the field.

I have worked as a Robotics/Automation Technician for quite some time, about 8 years. I have work experience in the following PLC's Automation Direct/Omron/Modicon mostly modifying program and trouble shooting. Also have experience in robots(Intelligent Actuators) and Vision Systems(Keyence and National Intruments vision API). I basically have knowledge in electrical, mechanical, software but no way near an expert at these things just enough to get the job done.

I got a job at the Post office as as analyst. I'm supposed to support the mail processing equipments but I haven't got a chance to work on machine yet only helped in FAT for new equipments. And from what I have heard the company is going to be relying on contractors to do the machine modifications(software/hardware).

I really missed doing PLC stuff and I think the direction the company is going is not good for me(just my opinion). I dont want to loose my PLC skills and I would like to go back to doing it again.

I dont have experience programming PLC from scratch and I would really love to learn it. I do a lot of reading on RsLogix5000 software and also practice simple programming w/o the hardware. I like the fact that this platform is more like object oriented.

I'm hoping to like work part time for FREE so I could continue learning more about PLC's and be a programmer someday. I was wondering if you guys know anybody that might give me a chance.

Thanks for taking time.........

In the US you could volunteer to work in the electrical department at the local community college. They are always looking for free volunteers to help out.

Hi Lancie1,
Thanks for the reply...
What is the cheapest way to learn RsLogix5000 or Step7 with access to PLC.

What is the cheapest way to learn RsLogix5000 or Step7 with access to PLC.
Cheapest would probably be to read books and then get a software PLC simulator program. It might not be the best or the easiest way, depending on how well you learn from studying on your own.

I have done a lot of reading and so far I have no problem and I think I understand pretty much everything. I just want to be able to configure and program PLC using the actual hardware.

I want to see AOI(RsLogix5000) in action. I think it is a really good feature in the PLC. I have seen this implementation in one of our new conveyor system.

Also, Is it worth it to go for the Allen Bradley certification?

Also, Is it worth it to go for the Allen Bradley certification?
Well, not for me but I am old, burned out, and kaput. For you it may be well worth the time and money.

George Brown College offers an on-line PLC course that is based on Allen Bradley. In my experience, you will have a hard time getting experience, until you get experience = catch 22. Another option is home projects. You will probably find Allen Bradley hardware and software pricey.

If you want to get your hands dirty with AB without spending a lot of cash, you can get RSLogix Micro Starter Lite, RSLinx, and RSEmulator to run your programs on here for free.

Now this is for Micrologix processors, which use a version of RSLogix 500, not 5000 unfortunately. But the Emulator will allow you to "run" your programs on your PC, and go online to debug them and test out different programming techniques. As far as Logix 5k, it's great software, but you have to pay to play. Hone your skills with the free 500 stuff, and you'll have a real leg up when you're ready to start working on some real world 5000 stuff. Not to mention that there's still lots of systems out there that run on the old PLC-5 and SLC500 platforms, and will be for years to come.

You can even add a PC-based HMI into the mix to run your programs with by downloading AdvancedHMI here. It's also free, and this site is full of regular posters, including the developer of the software, who will help you get started. See this thread for more info on AdvancedHMI.

Hope this helps.

Oh, and Welcome to the Forum! :site:

Cheers,
Dustin

🍻

The Micro 800 series plc aren't too expensive only a couple hundred dollars, and plctrainer.net has a micro 1000 trainer for less than $300.00 I've bought cables from them and never had an issue.

Few weeks ago I got an email from local vendor offering Micro800 starter kit, incl software and if I understood, power supply and some io-module for 59 euros. There might be some campain right now also on your side of the planet, perhaps trsptfire's price estimation are list prices? So you can cheaply automate your curtains and greenhouse watering while practising :D

I picked up a Siemens S7-1200 starter kit for $481.00 US about a year ago from our distributor. The software in the kit is the full version, I even used it to configure and test a small profibus network. The lack of STL language on the software may make it less desirable, but it was the cheapest way to get familiar with Siemens programming concepts I could find. The kit was "Package #3" in the following link.

http://www.automation.siemens.com/m...cation/simatic-s7-1200-kit/pages/default.aspx

Flux,

Industrial electrician here in BC. As far as employment in Western Canada goes, it can be a bit of a pain to get into PLC programming without some industry recognized training. There are many options out there that can help you jump-start your way into the field, but two of them involve school.

BCIT has a program Electrical and Computer Engineering Technology which you can take with an Automation and Instrumentation option. It's here in BC, but I haven't heard much about how well recognized it is within the industry.

Info here: http://www.bcit.ca/study/programs/548ddiplt

The other program I've seen people take is Instrument Engineering Technology via NAIT in Edmonton. I've personally worked with graduates of this program and it's seen as a necessity in many parts of the oil patch if you want to program. Having said that, it's widely recognized in the Western Canadian industry.

Both programs are 2 years full time as far as I know, but will definitely give you a head start.

I've also seen people come from other programming jobs, and entry through other trades or piece-work like you're describing. I myself have been trying for the last 5 years and have only recently been getting involved with PLC's on the level I'd like. It seems like a lot of times it's being in the right place at the right time. If you have the money and time, a course like these could save you a lot of headache in the long run.

Hi guys thanks for all your inputs.. Appreciate it.

JUO SAVE A JOS ON, BrianNStPaul
I'll look into this and see if I can afford it.

RetroSA
I've already taken Allen Bradley courses at BCIT a few years ago. It was both PLC 1 and PLC 2 courses. I did company paid Omron training. I've also taken Manufacturing Control system course and did a little PLC using Siemens. I'll be taking Industrial System Electrical Design next. It would have been better if I can take the full time program but I cant....

I did a lot of PLC program modification for my previous employer mostly SFC, Ladder Logic and Structured Text(Modicon, Rslogix500 and Omron).

I'm a little bit lucky when it comes to looking for a job. I had 2 job offer turned down coz I thought working for a big company will help me gain more experience in this field but so far haven't touch any PLC yet. Did training on the new sorting equipments(Packet/Parcel) - RsLogix5000. But people here are saying the service is contracted out to the integrator which is why I think may not help me learn new things.

If you want to get your hands dirty with AB without spending a lot of cash, you can get RSLogix Micro Starter Lite, RSLinx, and RSEmulator to run your programs on here for free.

Now this is for Micrologix processors, which use a version of RSLogix 500, not 5000 unfortunately. But the Emulator will allow you to "run" your programs on your PC, and go online to debug them and test out different programming techniques. As far as Logix 5k, it's great software, but you have to pay to play. Hone your skills with the free 500 stuff, and you'll have a real leg up when you're ready to start working on some real world 5000 stuff. Not to mention that there's still lots of systems out there that run on the old PLC-5 and SLC500 platforms, and will be for years to come.

You can even add a PC-based HMI into the mix to run your programs with by downloading AdvancedHMI here. It's also free, and this site is full of regular posters, including the developer of the software, who will help you get started. See this thread for more info on AdvancedHMI.

Hope this helps.

Oh, and Welcome to the Forum! :site:

Cheers,
Dustin

🍻

You can get a free 90 day version of Logix 5000 here also http://www.rockwellautomation.com/rockwellsoftware/design/rslogix5000/demo.html

Only works offline but for training purposes that is ok.