Belden Cable # for Analog I/O

Tim Ganz

Can someone help me with the Belden cable # commonly used with 0-10 and 4-20 analog I/O?

The cable that has the 3 conductor Blue, Brown, Black with a foil shield and a drain wire?

What's the difference between the shield and a drain wire anyway?

Can't help with an exact Belden catalog number, but when I think of shield vs drain, the shield is the foil wrapped around each of the pairs while the drain is the uninsulated wire inside the shield on each pair. My understanding is that the shield collects electrical noise/interference and the drain wire connects the shield to ground by being in physical contact with it.

Just curiosity, why three wires if the cable it´s supposed to be used with 4-20 and 0-10.?
Normally I used to use Blue, Brown, Black cable for NPN and PNP devices.

the shield helps shield all the wires and the drain wire will go to the analog input shield wire (if it's analog) or the main control panel ground. Only connect the drain wire at the main panel. the sensor end should have the drain wire wrapped around the cable 4 or 5 times and then use shrink tubing to keep it in place and prevent the shield & drain wire from touching anything else.
i would also recommend using a twisted pair cable also.
james