Better design or coding?

On a good note though, my rewritten compartmented code seems easier and more logical, to me at least.

That's good to hear! I guarantee that if you go back and look at it in 12 months you'll think "dear god, what was I thinking? This is awful!". But that's a good thing, because it means you're continuously improving how you code (y)

I have now sorted the issue with the varying cut length.

It seems I was pushing the HSTP module too fast between repeat moves, I inserted a 2s timer in the loop and that fixed it so working the delay downwards while being online, I got it to 0.12s and the system was happy.

Started tidying up the panel wiring now, nearly finished, then it's on to job production testing with the operator.

then it's on to job production testing with the operator.
If he was not involved in the process, then this is where you find out that he will think it is about half as good as you thought it was...

If he was not involved in the process, then this is where you find out that he will think it is about half as good as you thought it was...

LOL, I wouldn't do that :)

We have four of these machines, different variations on a theme but very similar. I used to run them years back too, I merely designed my process around the others so it's almost identical.

I have improved a few areas and cut out some dead wood but generally it's the same as it was before the old plc failed.

If it were totally different then yes of course the operator would have been in but as it is, he was working only a few feet away so I could get feedback at each step.