bit shift register

SirTrollsalot

Hi all,

I am working with TI.

I was told to get a utilization percentage. I have wood coming from a dryer, and when there are open spots on this conveyor, a refeeder will put wood in those open spots and go down the conveyor.

I was told to get a utilization percentage. like are we using 50% of available space on the conveyor? 75%?

I have switches available on the conveyor (LS's, maybe others) that will let me count how much wood is on the conveyor. I can also find out how much wood comes from the refeeder with a certain coil that turns on for each piece of wood.

I was thinking of using a bit shift register in order to look at how much space we have available.

Anything helps. I know this isn't very specific. I'm very new to this and that's kind of why it isn't specific.

If your pieces are the same size then it will be simple math.
In the example below. I used 18" pieces over a 10' section of conveyor.
1. 3x18=54 54/120= .45
2. 4x18=72 72/120= .60
3. 5x18=90 90/120= .75

Or the Accumalation of Time your switch is Blocked Divided by Conveyor Speed. If conveyor speed is 60 ft per minute and your blocked time is
1. 27sec then 27/60= .45
2. 36sec then 36/60= .60
3. 45sec then 45/60= .75

Now to do this in a plc remember to multiply your Accumaltion by 100 to remove the decimal point. So (Accumation time x 100)/60

The benefits of a metric system.
All measurements are in factors of 10