BR-Automation CPU-CP476

Bob O

The company I work for has asked me about getting data from a BR CPU-CP476. I was hopping to find a thrid party software that could communicate with the CPU via ethernet and then I could create tags in RSView to log the data. I am looking into a ethernet card for this unit but was also interested in any feed back.

http://www.br-automation.com

Thanks,
Bob

I am currently using a B&R CP360 processor with an ethernet card. What we are doing is creating our own operator interface using VB6.0. The communications I have set up uses B&R PVI software. It will talk either ethernet or serial. I do know that B&R has their own MMI. How ever you look at it, you will probably need to purchase the Automation Studio from B&R to program the CP476.
I do not know of any third party software that might work, but that doesn't mean there isn't any.

On B+R Automations homepage there is mentioned a product called Automation Net. It is stated to be an OPC server, and should therefore be able to make the connection to your RSView.

That B+R likes to use CAN. You could try to find a CAN OPC Server (and check if it will "talk" to the B+R).

Thank you Craigismon and JesperMP.
Is CAN just another way of communicating? I have never heard of it which doesn't really mean anyyhting I guess.

Thanks Again,
Bob

CAN is a protocol originally developed for networking in automobiles.
DeviceNet is based on CAN.

HERE is one supplier of a CAN OPC server.
But I would doublecheck if it really can talk to the B+R.

I think (but dont know for sure) that there is a CAN port in the B+R PLC by default.
But if there is an Ethernet port allready, maybe your best choice is that OPC server from B+R.

There is a CAN port and it is being used for communication with the HMI but there is also a RS232 port that is not being used. As for ethernet I would have to add a card.

Thank you,
Bob

As CAN is a bus, then you could hook further devices on your network - such as your RSView PC.

One thing just pops up in my mind: There is a "KEPserver" option for RSView, which is basically a bundle of OPC servers. Check if CAN is amongst the supported protocols.

edit: My previous posts might indicate that Automation Net from B+R is for Ethernet only. But it is possibly for CAN as well.

Last edited:
Automation Net is the same as PVI. You can use it with CAN, Serial, or Ethernet. I have used it with Ethernet and Serial. I do have a CAN network that attaches to my Handheld(which is a B&R product). I have used the ActiveX interface portion to communicate with a computer running a VB program.

The specs call out that there is an OPC and a DDE server, but I have not used them. I also have not interfaced with anything other then a computer running VB or a computer running Automation Studio (their programming software).

Let us know what you end up doing.