Business Card Question

Don't mean to hijcak this, but just out of curiosity: does anyone, besides Realators use a photo? If yes, why?

My title now is Process Instrumentation & Controls Systems Technician. When I finish my EE, my title (if I get the job) will be PI&CS Engineer. My degree is recognized by ABET, hence the Engineer title. We had a guy who just got promoted who had a BSEE from Devry, which is not ABET accredited, and his title is PI&CS Technologist, but his compensation has nothing to do with the title. I believe it is the same as someone with the title PI&CS Engineer.

Originally posted by Jimmie_Ohio:

I'm not sure what a degree has to do with any of this...

Perception. 'Generally accepted terms' tend to produce generally held perceptions. I suspect that the vast majority of the general population would hold the perception that individuals referred to as 'engineers' have successfully completed a course of study at an institute of higher learning learning and hold at least a BS in the appropriate field of study. Notice that capability didn't play into this expectation. That is another matter.

For example, my Thaler & Brown 'Servomechanism Analysis' book defines a servo as a closed-loop system that uses a function of the error between a reference and an actual quantity to determine the maginitude and direction of an output. Based on this most temperature controllers are servos. But if you asked a supplier for a servo you would be sorely disappointed if you received a temperature controller, even though the temperature controller successfully fits the definition of a servo. 'Servo' produces a partivular popular perception that doesn't necessarily agree with the classical definition. So, to avoid confusion, most people add modiifers to the term or avoid it in favor of more descriptive terms.

I think the same it true of 'engineer'. While I perform some of the functions of an engineer I don't believe I should be called an engineer because that may foster a perception that is not true. I don't see why I would want to intentionally do that. Having said that, as my original post noted I am currently in exactly that situation. I'll have to correct that next time I get new business cards.

Keith

Systems Integrator .If I feel that something more impressive might be useful, I also carry some cards with the title "God".

I want to call myself "The Pope of China" but I'm certain that would pose some sort of problem for someone.

Russ I have not used a picture on a business card but all my lockout tags I have personalized with my picture etc. I go into, or did, many plants where people may have seen me but not know my name/company. I found it works as a decent business card too.

Since it is my company, I am everything except the "boss" - no need to ask who is. I keep it simple - card attached - front and back.

Yep!!! I am the sweeper too.

Uploaded pictures - "show pictures" - but they do not show. Upload was successful. Why do they not show?

Last edited:
BobB said:
Uploaded pictures - "show pictures" - but they do not show. Upload was successful. Why do they not show?

You need to post the img link of the picture, when you upload a pic it says cut and paste this code to show your pic...

General Grunt

Also being the owner of my company, I do the same thing that Steve had mentioned earlier.

I have two cards that I use... One is "Fabricaton and Automation Supervisor" and the other is "President / CEO". Which one I use is dependant on the situation.

In reality, I also sweep floors, change the water bottle at the cooler, do the windows, feed the dog and cats, etc.

Regards,
Chris

I recently got a business card from a Phoenix Contact salesman with his picture on it. At first glance I thought it was from a realtor; that has been the only cards I see with pictures.

Personally, I like a clean white card that is simple and concise with a blank back for writing notes. Our cards don't fall in to that category.

Jimmie_Ohio said:
Bill Gates is a pretty good businessman, without having a college degree in Business or anything for that matter.

Since Bill announced his retirement and intentions to go full steam with giving away his zillions, I'm sure he'll have LOTs of honorary degrees in short order.