C-Net and lightning strike

curlyandshemp

Lifetime Supporting Member
Anyone else have this situation:

Severe thunderstorms pass through area, lightning hits the building , or nearby, and six 20-Comm-C adaptors on PowerFlex 70 VFDs all catch fire and burn up. 1794-ACN, 1756-CNB, PV1000 on same C-Net trunk line do not.

Ian

Lightning is unpredictable, and the damage does not always appear to be logical. The path of least resistance for lighting is not always apparent to humans.

Lightining myth: You are safer inside a building than outside.

Fact: More people are struck by lighting while inside a house. Houses have 1/8" fiberglass shingles, 3/4" roof decking, some insulation, and 5/8" of sheetrock. Those thin barriers offer absolutely no protection from a force that jumped though thin air for 5000 feet (or more).

Last edited:
two years ago lightning strike on my backyard killed cable internet modem, router and one of the ethernet switches 100 ft away.
But all computers connected to the router right next to it survived.
Why? I heard it is unpredictable and no common rules apply...
Controlnet trunkline is ungrounded system, so something in 20-comm may be weaker than in other devices. It's possible that other devices are partially damaged as well.
I guess strike force was much higher than device ratings.