Cable sizing for PLC IO modules

flyers

Hi guys,

I'd like to know if there is any standard cable sizing for PLC IO modules, Digital/analog/AC/DC? Some panels are using 1.5mm sq., while some other panels are using 0.5mm sq.

Digital DC -
Digital AC -
Analog -

Some experience gurus here can clarify me?

Thanks.

flyers said:
Hi guys,

I'd like to know if there is any standard cable sizing for PLC IO modules, Digital/analog/AC/DC? Some panels are using 1.5mm sq., while some other panels are using 0.5mm sq.

Digital DC -
Digital AC -
Analog -

Some experience gurus here can clarify me?

Thanks.

For 24 volts, We use a pre made ribbon cable in our panels and the wire size is about 0.2mm sq and can be up to 3 meters as a standard item.
This ribbon cable is rolled width ways and a heat srink sleeve is shrunk around the ribbon cable to give it the neccessary 400 plus, volt rating so it can be mixed with other cables in the ducts that may be carrying up to 230 volts or more.

The insulation rating is what is important not the conductor size, as all the modules you mention are very low in current flow.

Wire size is more of a personal choice, or what is convenienly on the shelf beside you.

I use an 18 conductor, 18 gauge, shielded cable for connecting to each I/O card...2 wires for either hot (on output cards) or L2 (on input cards) and 16 color coded wires for the signals, plus the shield which is connected only at the end AWAY from the card.
It makes for a very neat panel, and you don't have to number all those little wires...that saves a lot of time!!!
The cable that I use is made by Beldin...I'll post a link if you want it.

David:beerchug::site:

Thanks guys for your replies and information. Currently we are using single core, 0.5mm sq for digital modules and we are doing numbering for both end of the cable.

If using color coded cables (16 core) and without numbering, then there is a repeation of color coded number in the panel when we are using 2 or more same IO modules, am i right?

I normally use 0.5 sq mm for screw connection I/O cards but most cards I use are plug in types. 7/0.20 is the cable I use. I do not buy pre-made cables as they are too restrictive. I make my own cables so that some wires can be 0.5M long and others to go to other cabinets can be 10M long if I require. Do not have to find room for horrible PLC terminal blocks in the board and then still have to wire away from them anyway. Saves me lots of time, frustration and money. I mainly use 64 bit I/O cards.

For analogues I use a standard cheap twisted pair screened cable. The wire size is 7/0.20 also. I NEVER use voltage analogues only 4-20 ma. Much more resistant to noise and no voltage drop problems.