Cable Numbering

Tim Ganz

I have an existing machine that we are adding some functionality. Currently every cable such as a cable going out to a 4-20 psi sensor for example would be named CBL for cable and 403 for it's line reference. Some of our other machines have CBL and it's sequential from the first page for the next cable so which is correct?

In the cable reference schedule it shows details such as the origin and destination of each cable, brand type, length, number of conductors and conductor size and color

We will be adding some ethernet based instrumentation so should the ethernet cables be labeled as this CBL# by line reference or sequence? Line reference or sequence would be based on what is already there. But if it were a new build which would be best?

If this is not the best way to label our ethernet cables what would be?

The best way is however you or your company decides to standardize your wiring.

I've seen so many different ways.

- Some will just hit the auto label in autocad electrical
- Some use a page number followed by line, followed by device correlating to the print
- Some use device type, device name abbr, page no, etc.
- Some just use a drawing then sequentially label with 1 being L1 and 2 being L2, then 3-999999 is whatever it happened to fall on as they labeled left to right and just picked the next available number for the next wire after a component. which works fine for smaller diagrams that only run one page.

The most important thing is to standardize the system you use, if your company has a system in place, you should use that.

I have been working at a small company and got to set my own system up for my drawings and have found I like mine
-W for wire -C for cable then 4 numbers where the first number is the voltage second is the page and the last two are the wire numbers going left right followed by a 2-letter color

So -W1203BL would be a wire at 120VAC on page 2 3rd wire it is colored Blue.

The most important thing is to standardize the system you use, if your company has a system in place, you should use that.

I have been working at a small company and got to set my own system up for my drawings and have found I like mine
-W for wire -C for cable then 4 numbers where the first number is the voltage second is the page and the last two are the wire numbers going left right followed by a 2-letter color

So -W1203BL would be a wire at 120VAC on page 2 3rd wire it is colored Blue.
On that note,

Anyone who does drawings should have a legend on the first few pages that explain any symbols and wire labeling or schematic layout schemes that can help with reading it. I've been confused trying to decipher cryptic singular number/letters on wires when we weren't the ones who made it, eventually figure out the code after looking over things for a while, but it saves a lot of headaches and callouts for people not understanding what they are looking at.

Unfortunately, there is not an industry standard for this. What people have suggested are all various ways I've seen it done too, even within the same company. They all have strengths and weaknesses to their approach to help people. The biggest issue with many of these is that, over time, the system falls apart as people don't understand it (because it's not well documented and people aren't trained, so they have to figure it out like you are doing), and maintenance activities usually drive changes that don't always get documented well. So, in my past company, one thing we did after working with our operations and maintenance folks, was to approach it differently. Instead of using some scheme to label wires that is captured on some cable/conduit schedules and have little to no meaning (there is good reason to approach it this way when designing a new system), we instead decided to use ISA standard equipment labels. For example, in your setup, you mentioned different pressure transmitters coming into the PLC. What we would simply do is label the wire with the instrument tag (i.e. PT1000) and the different wire designators (i.e. +/-). The overall cable here might have PT1000 on the cable on both ends, and a PT1000+, PT1000- on the 2 wires that go to/from this. In the drawings, this same label was used, and where it went to/from different drawings, we always cross-referenced with the FULL drawing number and line number to easily located each side as well. Then, in the PLC program and the SCADA System, this same instrument tag was also used. So, from the drawings (P&ID's, loop diagrams, etc...), to the physical cables, to the PLC and SCADA systems, this was all the SAME label. The best part about this is that when the technician was working an issue, we can look at the SCADA or PLC program and be talking about the exact same thing immediately. If we have a problem with a failed I/O channel, we just simply move it. It remains the same everywhere, and the drawing just needs to adjust the location it lands, not any labels associated. Imagine you did this with some label that uses a drawing/line number, and you move it. Now you need to relabel everything to match, or deal with it not following the convention because of it, which drives more confusion. I can say, it's not maybe the best, but the label and programs all match, and it's almost as if it was self-documented. It has led to fewer issues during support calls, and a quicker resolution time in most cases, especially when drawings aren't kept up to date (or if you have drawings at all). The only downfall of this is in design, where you need to know this information to properly complete drawings, and because a lot of them use CAD tools that autogenerate this, this method would require a lot of manual drafting time. From my experience, this has been the most widely accepted and easy to follow for engineers, operators, and technicians, even those with little to no experience.

@arpus4KM
Good call out. I put mine on the title page, but we have gotten some machines in with no legends. yeah spending 15 min trying to decipherer the drawings can be really frustrating. Especially since murphy states that the boss will walk over at that moment to find out how long to fix the problem. lol.
I have recently come across a print were someone tore the title page out to use as notes while troubleshooting so I my need to find a way to put the legend on each page.