Calibrators

James Mcquade

Hi all,

i'm looking for a calibrator that will produce a 0-20ma signal as well as 0-10V.
it also needs to read these signals.
i have searched this site and looked at various models.
i do not need a cal. cert. but is needs to be fairly accurate.
anyone use the one from PLCTools?
Altech 334, or testhelper th77?
i prefer Fluke, but that will bust by budget.
thanks,
james

I used the altech in a previous life.
I have the fluke 773.

Altech
-no voltage out, no waveform generation

Fluke
+Voltage and current output.
+Really like the Min Max buttons and the ability to step up by 25% or in tenths.
-Takes banana plugs which is nice for daisy-chaining with Lab power supply or another meter.

+a limited waveform generator
I've never used the HART function.

PLCTools.com

PLC Tools SIM-ALP2 4 To 20mA Analog Simulator And 0-10VDC Generator

The SIM-ALP2 can simulate a 2 wire 4-20 mA loop powered device, a 4 wire 4-20mA current source without an external power supply, or a 0-10VDC signal without an external power supply.

If you want to go low cost take a look at Mr Signal. It feels pretty flimsy and is a little clunky to operate but it will both produce and measure voltage and current in a small package. We have one here. I have to relearn how to use it every time I use the thing (about once every year or so) but it does work. We have the old design version without HART.

Keith

That would do the trick.

I always have some 250 ohms with me.

Check for Unomat/Druck UPS on eBay, I remember it does 0-20 mA.

That is wise.

Usually I have only tested with one or two 1,5V batterys at series as haven't had resistor on site. (y)
For mA I have 0-20mA simulator, (Ametek)

Last edited:
That is wise.

Usually I have only tested with one or two 1,5V batterys at series as haven't had resistor on site. (y)
For mA I have 0-20mA simulator.

Often got caught off guard with a 1-5 VDC valve when I only had a 4-20mA output available.

When I was on a tight budget and didn't need NIST certification I went to Radio Shack and bought 2 project cases, 2 panel meters (25mA & 12V), 2 pots, 2 rechargeable 9V batteries and had a couple of 12V AC adapters and built my own.

They were as precise as the meters were, and I was able to get by with them without any problem. Total cost for 2 calibrators - about $40.

I actually still have them sitting on the shelf in case they are needed.