Can someone explain Allen Bradley Software to me?

marko18

Hello all,

I have recently been working on a project utilizing Allen Bradley PLC/HMI. It's an L16ER-BB1B PLC and a Panelview Plus 7 HMI. I'm trying to hook them up to motors to be able to control the motors with the HMI. I am using code that a coworker has provided and it is an ACD file that I have been told has the plc ladder logic and hmi screens in that one file.

To work on this project, we purchased a software package that gives me access to Studio 5000 Lite v33.02. However, I can't seem to figure out how to edit the HMI screens or even get the HMI program loaded onto the touchscreen, as it doesn't show up in Studio 5000. I've been told to use FactoryTalk View Studio

My question, what are all the different Allen Bradley Programs and what do they all do? Through online research trying to get this project going, I've seen Studio 5000 (which I have), LogixDesigner, RsLogix5000, RsLinx, FactoryTalk View Studio, and more programs referenced by online guides and videos. I have found no simple guide explaining what all of this software does, how they interface with each other, and what I actually need to get my PLC + HMI system up and running.

My current understanding is that Studio5000 is the new version of RsLogix5000, and that it contains LogixDesigner for editing PLC code/ladder logic. I believe I will need FactoryTalk View Studio to see the HMI screen components of the ACD file I was provided, but I'm not sure. The piecemeal, fragmented, and poorly explained mass of Allen Bradley software has left me extremely confused and wondering why there isn't just an all-in-one program. I've worked with Siemens and found Tia v17 portal to be much more intuitive and all-in-one without any confusion about software or licensing. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Studio 5000 is only for programming the PLC. It will generate an .ACD file that can be loaded into the controller. RSLinx Classic is included and it handles the communications between your PC and the PLC. It is mostly behind the scenes.

Your PanelView Plus requires FactoryTalk View Studio. Separate software. In there you will configure your HMI. When ready you will generate what is called a "runtime". This is a .MER file. That will get loaded into the HMI.

The ACD does not contain the HMI information. Again, separate software.

OG

Hello Marko,

AB Software is like this:

Studio5000/RSLogix5000 to program PLCs using IEC61131-3 languages.
Factorytalk View Studio to display visualizations in Panelviews.
RSLinx to make a communication server that routes the above software from the PC to the devices on the floor.
Controlflash Plus to update the firmware on the PLC.

In order to program the PLC, you'll need to upgrade it to V33, download the program, set up networking, make the Factorytalk View program for the said panelview in Factorytalk View Studio, download it to the Panelview,and that's that.

For clarity, the statement that the ACD contains the HMI application is wrong. It contains only the logic for the PLC. FactoryTalk View Studio ME has it's on files. The compiled FVTSME file is a MER. By default, you can take that MER and restore it via the Application Manager in order to edit it yourself.

Hello Marko,

AB Software is like this:

Studio5000/RSLogix5000 to program PLCs using IEC61131-3 languages.
Factorytalk View Studio to display visualizations in Panelviews.
RSLinx to make a communication server that routes the above software from the PC to the devices on the floor.
Controlflash Plus to update the firmware on the PLC.

In order to program the PLC, you'll need to upgrade it to V33, download the program, set up networking, make the Factorytalk View program for the said panelview in Factorytalk View Studio, download it to the Panelview,and that's that.
Thank you. The software package I purchased just seems to include Studio 5000 Lite Edition. Does that mean I need to buy additional software to use FactoryTalk View Studio?

For clarity, the statement that the ACD contains the HMI application is wrong. It contains only the logic for the PLC. FactoryTalk View Studio ME has it's on files. The compiled FVTSME file is a MER. By default, you can take that MER and restore it via the Application Manager in order to edit it yourself.
Makes sense. Thank you.

Studio 5000 and FactoryTalk View Studio ME are separate licenses, generally. We have a toolkit, which is a bundle of licenses for various software packages.

Studio 5000 is only for programming the PLC. It will generate an .ACD file that can be loaded into the controller. RSLinx Classic is included and it handles the communications between your PC and the PLC. It is mostly behind the scenes.

Your PanelView Plus requires FactoryTalk View Studio. Separate software. In there you will configure your HMI. When ready you will generate what is called a "runtime". This is a .MER file. That will get loaded into the HMI.

The ACD does not contain the HMI information. Again, separate software.

OG
Thanks for the explanation. When I open an ACD file from Studio 5000 launcher, it opens in Logix Designer. What is the difference between these two programs? Is Logix Designer just the PLC logic editor component of Studio 5000?

RA automation needs to take notes from Beckhoff - allow developers to only have to use one (1) piece of software for programming all of their devices, making connections to the devices, HMI development, etc. One software!

But it appears RA automation has been taking notes from Beckhoff, with Connected Components Workbench.

Message to RA - Great stuff Rockwell with CCW! Looks like you've been taking notes from one of your competitors across the pond. Now take it a step further and do as they did - Integrate the rest of your softwares and countless utilities into that Visual Studio shell you call CCW. One software RA. ONE!

Rant over.

Thanks for the explanation. When I open an ACD file from Studio 5000 launcher, it opens in Logix Designer. What is the difference between these two programs? Is Logix Designer just the PLC logic editor component of Studio 5000?

Correct. There are other components that may be included (View Designer), or purchased separately. Note that View Designer is for a different model of HMI.

OG

Studio 5000.PNG

Correct. There are other components that may be included (View Designer), or purchased separately. Note that View Designer is for a different model of HMI.

OG
Thanks. I apologize for these simple questions, and clearly I'm jumping into something that I don't fully understand, but no one at my facility has a decent understanding of AB PLC stuff.

That being said, am I able to view/edit and also upload a MER file to my PanelView Plus 7 from Studio 5000 or do I need to acquire FactoryTalk View Studio? It seems Studio 5000 View Designer won't work with my HMI based on what you just said but I wanted to make sure, as an associate at another facility told me he was able to configure the same HMI using the software package I have that doesn't include FactoryTalk View Studio.

Thanks. I apologize for these simple questions, and clearly I'm jumping into something that I don't fully understand, but no one at my facility has a decent understanding of AB PLC stuff.

Yeah unfortunately that is a common problem.

That being said, am I able to view/edit and also upload a MER file to my PanelView Plus 7 from Studio 5000 or do I need to acquire FactoryTalk View Studio?

You can transfer the MER to and from the PanelView Plus 7 (PVP7) without needing the software. But to do any sort of view, or editing you require FT Studio.

It seems Studio 5000 View Designer won't work with my HMI based on what you just said but I wanted to make sure, as an associate at another facility told me he was able to configure the same HMI using the software package I have that doesn't include FactoryTalk View Studio.

Correct. You MUST have FactoryTalk View Studio to work on the PVP7. Your co-worker is probably confusing the hardware/software.

OG

Just to muddy the waters a little bit, Studio 5000 can launch Factory Talk View as they are sort of integrated.
After you have opened a Factory Talk View Program it will show on the Studio 5000 start up screen.

View Designer is for the newer PanelView 5000 series of screens.

Factory Talk View is used for PanelView Plus, Plus 6 and Plus 7 screens.

Last edited: