Can we replace fixed SLC with MLX 1200?

ckchew666

We've an enquiry on replacing the fixed SLC which is faulty (1747-L40A) with MLX 1200.

Since fixed SLC is more expensive thus replacing it with another fixed SLC is not a good idea (cost almost double).

I've check the addressing for fixed slc and MLX 1200, both are the same.

Anyone forseen any problem with this cheaper solution? Thx.

The instruction sets are similar but not exactly the same, a lot depends on which SLC model you have, and what you're using it for. Again depending on the model, you might be giving up the on line edits option.

A quick check would be to open up you SLC program, change the processor to a ML1200, re-address the I/O and see if it will compile. If you have an istruction that isn't supported by the ML you should get an error.

Good Luck,
Ken

Ken Moore said:
The instruction sets are similar but not exactly the same, a lot depends on which SLC model you have, and what you're using it for. Again depending on the model, you might be giving up the on line edits option.

A quick check would be to open up you SLC program, change the processor to a ML1200, re-address the I/O and see if it will compile. If you have an istruction that isn't supported by the ML you should get an error.

Good Luck,
Ken

Ken,

Thx for ur feedback, so this means that if the fixed 1747-L40A is just using normal XIO/XIC/TON/TOF....it should not be a problem replace it with MLX 1200.

The machine is stand alone and on-line edit is not a priority because the system has been running fine for a few years. Customer has a few similar machines in the same plant with all fixed slc installed.

Thx.

JesperMP said:
The fixed SLC's don't have online editing either.
So in this respect you will not be worse off with a Micro.

Ok, thx. I do not know fixed SLC do not have online edit features. So looks like MLX 1200 is a good choice :) Saved a few bucks off :)

One big difference on the wiring though - the fixed SLC's inputs and outputs are in physically opposite locations from the MicroLogix.

mgvol said:
One big difference on the wiring though - the fixed SLC's inputs and outputs are in physically opposite locations from the MicroLogix.

Haha.another good point, perhaps we have to reverse the wires. Thx man. :)

I guess they have different comm port as well right, fixed slc is running DH-485 (RJ-45), while MLX 1200 is df-1/dh-485 (8 pin Mini DIN).