Canadians Working in the US

I currently siting at the Shannon airport ready to board a flight home. In all the times I've come over here I have always said I am working on an install and have never been hassled. I've never had an issue going into England either. I really haven't done continental Europe at all.

As for Canada I ALWAYS go for "meetings". As stated, do not take tools. Pre-ship them if you need them.

Keith

I always use to say the true.
I don't want to be in position that I will caught in plat floor with tourist visa not business visa.
In Canada I will take the risk.Getting visa not worth it.
I doing a project in Australia now.I had to apply for business visa for that.
My lucky the visa valid for a year (It take 3 weeks to get it)
That the only country I visit that scan your bags when you enter.
For a business meeting you need visa too.

Do some research BEFORE you quote on jobs....

One agent asked me "Aren't their any Americans that can do this?" "Not sure, haven't met one smart enough yet."

Just to clear things up, my Canadian counterparts are very good at what they do. This wasn't meant as a slam to you.
I had with me all the pertinent NAFTA Documents, and a signed permit for doing this job in Canada issued by the canadian border customs people. I was totally legal to the letter of the law, also I was working for a large robot manufacturer at the time so its not like I had any say whatsoever in any decisions in that regard.
My point was that the customs agent was being an *** just for the sole purpose of flexing her muscles. Her denying my entrance was against the law (NAFTA).

I have no problem whatsoever getting my car searched when I go over there. That's what they should be doing since I crossed daily and drug muleing is very lucrative business. (so I hear).
But to **** block me just because her coffee didn't have enough sugar that morning wreaks of unprofessionalism (New word). And I can out-unprofessional anyone.

Sounds like we all have the same issues. I just wish i knew the proper form required. I've been looking into the proper classification to use , but cannot find 'plc software guy' anywhere on the US immigration's web site.

Guess we need to hire an immigration lawyer.

You guys traveling over the border need to apply for TN Visa's.
They are worth the hassle to get...I once waited for 4 hours, with my degree and paperwork in hand....but finally it was granted.

Do some research BEFORE you quote on jobs....

One agent asked me "Aren't their any Americans that can do this?" "Not sure, haven't met one smart enough yet."

Looked into the TN visa, but it is for a certain list of professions that have a job offer in the US.

We just want to commission the control systems we just sold. I have a feeling an immigration lawyer will be necessary.

= $$$$ & >>Time

Hi Ariky.
Where in Australia are you working.
We scan bags coming in mainly for food products.
We are free of many plant and animal diseases the rest of the world has. If you stand around at customs long enough waiting for a bag you will see some amazing finds in peoples luggage as they are searched at customs.
One Japanese lady had her large suitcase completely full of cryovac'ed meat. The strange thing was the meat probably came originally from Australia and would of cost her 10 times the cost in Japan for what she could have gone to any local butcher shop here and purchased it for.
(plus it would of been confiscated and she would of been fined heavily)

Regards Alan Case

It gets even better, once a month I used to make a montly trip to Phoneix Arizona to conduct system maintenance at one of our plants in Phoneix AZ.
This month I have been replace by another4 coworker, and I have been told that he will be taking over this duty. I wonder if being Mexican descendent has something to do with this. My best guess is that the corporation that I work for does not want to risk any publicity. I did not get a single explanation for their decision.
It is sad that being American born, and a veteran from both, desert storm, and Iraqui freedom, I had to deal with this.
In order to make me feel better, I have been sent to Quebec to train in some new equipment that was purchased from a manufacturer based in this city.

Looked into the TN visa, but it is for a certain list of professions that have a job offer in the US.

We just want to commission the control systems we just sold. I have a feeling an immigration lawyer will be necessary.

= $$$$ & >>Time

My last company in Ontario, all the Canadians working in the US commissioning our systems had TN Visa's. These ranged from high level systems to us lowly PLC engineers

Hi Alan

I working near Sidney about hour by ferry.
I respect the rules of every place I coming .It just different.
I delayed on customs for 3 pack of cigarettes and 200 gram of Israeli coffee.
It took some time to pass.
At the time I was there I saw what you mean, they found amazing thing in people bags.
Next time I will ship my coffee in advance.

Originally posted by curleyandshemp:

I just wish i knew the proper form required.

Like ScottTheEnginner said, I don't think it has to do with forms. I think it has to do with the specific agent and how they are feeling that day. I also agree with ScottTheEnginner that some of it may be on the fringes of legality according to NAFTA, on both sides. I have heard some bad stories about going into Mexico for work also but I have never had an issue.

Just to bring this back the other way a bit I have also had a case where a Canadian Customs officer probably could have rightly turned me around and sent me home but instead helped me get into Canada by creatively interpretting my situation. So there are some good cases to go with the bad.

Keith

It is the old story, but wasn't the idea of NAFTA to remove these kinds of barriers? I do remember a lot of critisism at the time, "whooshing sound of jobs leaving" and such.

In reality... how about mandatory change of truck at US-Mexico border for any equipment shipped either way?

This thread is a pretty sad testament. It sounds as if border patrol makes it easy if you lie or stretch the truth, and hard if you are honest and straightforward. Seems to me this is a negative feedback cycle.

Like ScottTheEnginner said, I don't think it has to do with forms. I think it has to do with the specific agent and how they are feeling that day. I also agree with ScottTheEnginner that some of it may be on the fringes of legality according to NAFTA, on both sides. I have heard some bad stories about going into Mexico for work also but I have never had an issue.

Just to bring this back the other way a bit I have also had a case where a Canadian Customs officer probably could have rightly turned me around and sent me home but instead helped me get into Canada by creatively interpretting my situation. So there are some good cases to go with the bad.

Keith

We have had the occassional A**, who is probably getting henpecked at home by the missus and takes it out on people entering the US. Other times we have had officers who guide us on what to say as they fill out there forms. But lateley , regardless of who we get, there is a general change in policy that I suppose only the TN Visa will solve.

Again TN Visa = $$$$ & >> Time