CANBUS Question

richleva

Does anyone know if Canbus communication will work using standard SOOW Cable at about 50 feet ?
does it need to be a shielded twisted pair?

We have long hole drills underground that are remotely operated via Canbus, and these cables get destroyed within week/months. the manufacture wants 4000$ for a 50' cable?

In the OEM cable there is a Canbus cable for PLC communication and 8C #16 for power, estop, tilt switch. So two cables in one wire loom.

Just wondering if the separate Canbus cable is required for only 50 feet of cable?

Try it and see, but don't be surprised if it is unreliable.

In general, CANBus needs a balanced pair with about 120 ohm characteristic impedance. Twisted pairs are usually used in round cables, and parallel pairs in flat cables.

Lots of folks regularly run nonstandard cables, or omit the necessary termination resistors, for short CANbus links. But when they have trouble, the first thing out of the manufacturer's mouth is (correcly): "put in the proper cable and call back when you're done".