Career Advice

Originally posted by Zipperhead:

I assume you have something against my skills?

I think we're all OK with your skills. It's just the ethical use of them that we're not sure of. Chemical engineers are all fine and good...until they start mixing up bombs.

Keith

I see the point you make and I have respect for everyones opinion. I see your in wisconsin and have to give you props for that. I'm in the subs of Milwaukee. I never intended on making this political, just wanted some encouragment towards moving on.

Zipperhead said:
its true. I kind of have a little downloading and cracking problem!!

Now you are the one who said it not us.

The people here are pretty ethical when it comes to software piracy and playing with other peoples computer systems ie hackers. So don't take offense when you put your own foot up your mouth (gotta be PC here).

They are not getting down on your technical skills just your ethics.

Dan Bentler

What is it with us tech heads and nurses??

My wife is a nurse, here are some basic reasons.

A: Need understnding women for our line of work.
B: Someone to support us between jobs.
C: Someone to fix us when we touch 480.
D: Nurses are better looking than waitresses.
E: They normally have better insurance.
F: That uniform turns us on.

Same boat

Zipperhead,

Your story rings almost like an echo to mine. 3 years ago I approached my supervisor and pointed a finger at our resident PI&C Engineer who is just now retiring and asked what I needed to do to get the job. The answer was, without hesitation, get your degree. I now have 3 years down at UWP, and am about half way finished. You will find that an Engineering Degree is not worth as much if it is not ABET accredited. You will also find that there will be groups willing to hire you, but your initial wage(and possibly later wage) will represent your education level. The difference here for me is huge. I presently do the job I aimed for, but am paid hourly rather than salaried, and am at a ceiling. When I finish my degree, the salary range will double. I think you'll find this true almost everywhere. If you are willing to travel, there are integrators that will hire you. I was not willing to do that. One thing I have learned since continuing my education, a solid technical background does not give one the ability to correctly design systems. I am just now beginning to follow Peter Nachtwey's posts. System modeling and design will become huge when you step into the design realm, and those are skills that classes like Calculus, Signals and Systems and the like will develop. Further, you will find that even if you do end up in an engineering role, you will still be behind the curve for promotions, etc. Already here we are seeing stipulations for higher level engineering positions or engineering supervisors required to have masters degrees.

What all of this boils down to is that I think you sound a lot like me, and I believe I'm going about my career pursuit the right way. There will always be a premium on education, and experience means less and less all the time. Anyone can have experience, and it generally doesn't separate a good tech from a bad one. However, an engineering degree is something that can and will separate you and put you head and shoulders above the rest. Not only will it prove your intelligence, it will also say something about your character, that when you start something, you finish it. Good luck.

P.S. Where in Wisconsin are you located, and where did you go to school?

P.S.S. Ironically enough, my wife is a nurse as well.

I am also in the same boat with hitting a ceiling and deciding to go back for the degree. It has been a rough 3.5 years but this December I will have my EE degree. Party at kc's. hehe

It will be the best decision you can make for yourself. And don't try the "I am too old to go back." I'm 46. You are never to old to get educated... Just don't wait as long as I did. (lamenting the lost earning power)

"Party at kc's"
You're going to party at Kentucky Fried Chicken?

Wouldn't Sizzler or Denny's be more appopriate?

Congrats on Dec.