Carry on bags or follow me

Tools and instruments go in the checked luggage. Who cares if you loose it. It is either your company or the insurance that has to pay for it if it gets lost. Dont get personally attached to the stuff. If I loose my clothes - great ! I get to buy all new clothes for free.

I carry only the really important stuff in a PC rucksack. Stuff that I cannot get onsite and that I critically need (that's essentially my laptop with all software pre-loaded), and stuff that I personally would hate to lose (keys, expensive sunglasses and like that).
Everything else goes in the checked luggage.

I absolutely hate when people lug at least a trolley and possibly 1 or 2 more bags onboard. Whats the reason ? What is it that is so important that you have to bring it with you in the cabin ?

+1 Jesper...
...me 2...
..and it's a lot worse here across the pond...:(
...you have a late boarding #, back of the plane seat, or arrive at the gate just before the departure time and you will most likely have to put your coat in your lap or on the floor (only under the front seat nevertheless!) since all the overhead bins all full with FREE carry-on luggage; forget bringing your own- you will most likely have to give it to the attendant to be taken to the luggage hold and probably delay the gate departure...
Since most of the US airlines (except Southwest-probably not for long though!)charge for any checked piece of luggage and due to the time it takes to get your belongings from the Luggage Claim, plenty of the travellers completely ignore the other's right to use the cabin bins and "carry-on" pretty much everything but the kitchen sink...:D