cat 5 in conduit

Putting Cat5 in conduit is like putting up your tent in a garage.
Interesting and innovative but unnecesary.

RussB said:

I usually run all INDUSTRIAL cables and wires in conduit down to the machine. I do not let wires or cables run over girders, tie wrapped to other conduits, spiralled around pipes, etc. For one, it makes a neat installation that is easy to control. Two, there isn't wires running all over the place that tends to get damaged or broken (therefore no soldering???). All it takes is a little planning and it makes for a much nicer job. By the way, if the ethernet cable gets broken, the machine (or process) usually shuts down.

My opinion, but to me very necessary.

In this case RussB with 10 cat 5 cables having em all in tech is large and bulky also I wouldn't be surprised if it would be cheaper to use a tray or a conduit. Rather than each in tech and by the way I would not recommend running cat5 without at least tech but then I work in a plant where damage is a normal course

Hard to argue with such a witty response, but it depends on your industry and environment.

RussB said:

That pretty much describes it Suferb I've had industrial cables break down after 1.5 years due to the caustic chemicals in the washdown. I've also seen some areas where tech cable has been regularly damaged. In the sense of noise issues I agree conduit is largely unnecessary as the quality of shielding on cat5 is usually sufficient provided its in a safe area such as an office.