Certified Automation Professional - Any Thoughts?

Let me first start out by saying that it wasn't meant in an angry way at all, i just thought that it was very important to point out if someone comes in here and reads the thread and not checking the website, because then it doesn't make any sense at all. :)

Look at the point of doing 4~5 Years of study to gain a certificate.
Good Idea
But 35 years ago that same course would have both been non-existing and now obsolete.
the only way to keep up your knowledge is to keep yourself informed...
Self Taught...

We actually had, 2-3 months ago, an operator that have 10+ years experience with reparing the line he is working on, then he asked the guys from his union if he could get a certificate that he was a trained Automation Technician, and they gave it to him.
I my self is an 2nd year apprentice, so i am "fighting" to get that certificate. So that have ****ed both me and the maintanence department off.. There is no logic or fairness in that, like there would be no logic in ISA if they just gave the certificate because you gave a yearly fee...

And i totally agree that you need to keep your self informed if you want to stay in the game. I my self spend every single moment of my spare time at work in this forum to get as much information and gold from "the old farts" ;) hehe

Hi TCTBAPS
I never get angry - only take everything to heart(y)
Glad you are doing an apprenticeship - dont be disgruntled by the actions of the senior people - this happens all over the world.
the only thing you can do is shine with your own light.
that makes the difference to your life.
at 54 I am too much of an old **** to get upset.
If a poster anoys me enough, I simply remove myself from recieving that post.šŸ»

My other pet beef is being interviewed by HR - HOPELESS RETARDS!I have had many jobs offered over the years and if the interview was to be conducted by HR I declined the interview! They know absolutely nothing and are a complete waste of time - I do not like wasting my time.
My missus applied for a job as a payroll manager here in Ozz with a brewery. She had to do an online phsyc test. Failed of course with no explanation. Vastly experienced too. That was 7 years ago - many have applied over that time and they still do not have a payroll manager. What a load of crock!!!!

Ruddy spring chicken Ian!!! I am still leaving the young bloods for dead - they cannot even come close. Work ethic is pretty poor in young people, generally, these days too. Overtime?

hey Bob it makes me feel like a spring chicken when I see your age
:ROFLMAO: LOL

I wish I had the right answer Steve, funny thing is I have hired hundreds of people but not PLC techs. However i have to train them, and they need to hit the ground running (boss desire) so this is a dilemma. But I do appreciate your description, I will run that by by boss.

But they dont like making an investment in people because they believe the people will move on before they get their investment back. I am an anomaly!

iant I see a HUGE value in being self-taught and plan on using that strategy, I dont see any other choice. However schooling also seems to be a qualifier as well. BobB, awesome contribution. Man I am salivating at maybe someday being where you are Self-employed and doing well....the 69 thing would be cool as well....but in due time (I'm 46).

TCTBAPS, I agree! I spend every night (almost) studying, programming for work (for pay), visiting this site (new member) and working out to stay in shape (after working 8+ hours a day). Plus I have a full family (wife, children and grand children at home)

As far as the work ethic of young people, there is something to be said in regards to their poor dependability. I and many middle age guys at work remind ourselves that we need to finish where their parents left off.

And for some young men there is a lot of work to do. However I enjoy mentoring others myself, and I am optimistic about their future...

I myself will pas on the www.ias.org certification as I dont know one company that requires it, therefore no huge benefit. I can benefit from being self-taught, seminars, and Purdue University. Sound's to me like a good mix. Thanks for everyones input.

I have huge respect for you guys that are compleetly self-taught, because i cant imagine what troubles you guys have gone through in some of the harder topics in this world of automation.

I agree that older and more experienced people know more (of course) But i wont say that an older and more experienced is better than a younger person. I work with an older person that have 40+ years experience, and he knows everything there is to know, about our old lines. But when he sees a robot, he have to call one of the younger guys. So it would always depend on what machines he is going to work on. That's how I see it. But okay I'm not in charge of hireing anybody so it might be my own twisted world ;)

I just think i need to comment on the work ethic since I'm one of the young guys (27).
Have you ever thought that the young guys don't want to work overtime because he's not happy with the work place? (I know that there are some really lazy guys out there that just don't care or want to work)
Personally i have experienced at a work place that I was so unhappy (I didn't tell them anything because i feared for my job) that i just didn't want to go that extra mile for the company. Hell, I even left my field of work after that to start a new education.
in my case it was both the colleagues and the tasks.
Now Ive got a great job with lots of challenges and good colleagues i am willing to go that extra mile (as far as i can within the danish laws) and i want to be the best. And i even take some work with me home. :)

I know that this isn't every case, but some times it is. Hope that it makes sense ;) hehe

Like I said, "the only thing you can do is shine with your own light."
Good luck with your future
you will do well

I do, around 20.
well done
so I guess you are a very logical thinker and can breakdown the steps into
"If I do this that will happen"
depending on how far ahead you can think.
I am out of practice but not a master.
Only 10~15 moves ahead
In saying that - I am looking for people to train, eithe male or female, and the understanding of logical steps makes it so much easier.

to Iant

Hi!
I have started "professional" Chess playing and Tournaments around of Finland when I was 9 and stoped it 16years old when I met my wife. šŸ™ƒ
Now I'm waiting retired age 63. I'm 61.
When I'm working, The (f..ng) Manuals are most important tools to day. Engineering program tools are only tools. "Program code" skill is useless without some other knowledge of the human life.

i agree 100% - I am 54 - so not far to go
i follow the R.T.F.M. (read the f_g manual)when all else fails
which is usual these days
no I do read them šŸŗ

My other pet beef is being interviewed by HR - HOPELESS RETARDS!I have had many jobs offered over the years and if the interview was to be conducted by HR I declined the interview! They know absolutely nothing and are a complete waste of time - I do not like wasting my time.
My missus applied for a job as a payroll manager here in Ozz with a brewery. She had to do an online phsyc test. Failed of course with no explanation. Vastly experienced too. That was 7 years ago - many have applied over that time and they still do not have a payroll manager. What a load of crock!!!!

i agree. i had a job interview. the lead electrician wanted me to get the job, because i had worked there as a contractor already. but HR did the interview. needless to say i didnt get the job lol oh well im happier here

and as far as young bucks with poor work ethics. i am 25. and i am willing to work my *** off when needed. i think its more depends how they were raised. i grew up on a farm. i walked to town when i wanted to go there, or rode my bike. other kids in school looked at me like i was crazy for walking 5 miles 1 way. i just think they are lazy or spoiled

Last edited: