Changing SLC 5/03 battery and effect on 1747-SDN

I have a Allen Bradley SLC 5/03 which needs a battery change. I've taken a backup copy of the program, but am worried about the 1747-SDN module attached to the rack.

I do not have RSNetworx for Devicenet, chances of getting it purchased are slim to none just to take a backup.

Could the devicenet scanner settings be effected by battery change? How does the scanner store the network setup/IO mappings? Is that all on the PLC?

It is always good to err on the side of caution, but you should be fine. I used to keep a spare 1747-SDN programmed and ready to go on our parts shelf, and after months, when I did end up using it, the scanlist and all settings were still intact.

Working from memory, I believe all the "good stuff" is stored on the scanner with the exception of the memory blocks reserved in the PLC CPU for pass through operations.

Once you yank the 5/03 to swap the battery, you should have a minimum of 30 minutes to get it done before the onboard capacitor allows the program itself to "go away". I have seen a 5/04 hang onto a program for almost a week with no battery. Not recommending you bet your job on it, but for battery swaps, unless the backup capacitor is damaged, you will probably find that you fire it back up, switch to run mode and away she goes.

Last edited:
I can verify that the 1747-SDN scanlist and all of its configuration data are stored in Flash memory onboard the module and can be stored unpowered indefinitely.