cheap all in one PLC

You can get free programming software out there. Look into a starter kit or tool box kit, which is a package including software, programming cable, plc, and usually something else, for less then the cost of the plc only. GE Fanuc usually has a promotion like this.

The AD DL06 mentioned earlier will probably do you a good job. There have been some complaints on programming with some AD units, possibly the DL05's. Maybe someone will follow up or possibly it may show up on a search thread.

My first choice would be a GE Fanuc Micro 90 (out of production) micro plc, or the replacement VersaMax micro, 16 in and 12 out. Hundreds of new Micro 90's still out there, and I would like to buy them all up. I have found GE's to be extremely easy to program when compared to posted threads about some of the other brands.

My second choice would probably be an entertron. If we are ever able to reopen the OEM shop, entertron will be the primary plc in use there. Below is a link.

http://www.entertron.com/compare.htm#Entertron vs Automation Direct - Comparisons:

anyway, a different perspective. If you get a chance, try to get a price from your GE rep on a VersaMax micro plc tool box starter kit.

regards.....casey

Last edited:
Maybe I am missing the point, but the MicroLogix 1200 platform is less expensive than the MLogix 1500. For a little more than the cost of the LRP processor you can purchast the 24 point MLogix 1200. I believe it is very close in price to the MLogix 1000. Best of all, same software, programming cable, and no learning curveballs to throw at others following you.

kc9ih said:
The AD DL06 mentioned earlier will probably do you a good job. There have been some complaints on programming with some AD units, possibly the DL05's. Maybe someone will follow up or possibly it may show up on a search thread.....My second choice would probably be an entertron. If we are ever able to reopen the OEM shop, entertron will be the primary plc in use there. Below is a link.

http://www.entertron.com/compare.htm#Entertron vs Automation Direct - Comparisons:

I checked out the entertron website. They compared the SP-1212-24 with a 230. Not bad but it should have been compared to the D0-06 instead. The D0-06 is $215 out the door. You have to buy at least 50 of the entertron units to get even close to this. There is the cost of the software but it really is minimal. The D0-06 is the like having a D2-260 which is the most robust of the 205 series in a unitary model. You also get 20in/16out (in 17 different flavors) which is more than entertron offers for that model.

Added: Their software has a built in simulator. Now that is impressive!

I do not have any trouble with programming the AD series of PLCs. I find it to be much easier than programming a SLC-500. I will still give entertron a more detailed look though.

Their touch panels look interesting....

There are some advantages for monkeyhead to stick with the RSLogix line like some others have suggested but judging on cost alone, AD beats AB hands down.

Last edited:
Regarding the AD vs AB thing:

AD is gaining popularity and market share quickly. I now have customers specing AD based enquipment. Likely due to the cost and short learning curve, as some of them will be maintaining their own systems. This might be an opertunity to expand your horizons.

By the way, AD has great support, and Bob (testsubject) Eric, others, and I, would be glad to lend any advice we could on getting started. I was reluctntlly pushed into AD myself, and was very supprised to be fully up and running with my first project in a couple of days.

Wow... I really came to right place for this question. You guys have pointed me in some great directions, and cut my research time waaaaaay down. Thanks a ton. Right now i'm leaning toward the Automation Direct controllers, because after I started this thread I realized that some of our machines use this as well, so i'd have the added benefit of being able to modify these if need be.

Seriously thanks again.

monkeyhead,

If you go the AD route, and you already have AD equipment, be sure to purchase the FULL version of Directsoft, and the Universal Cable Kit. This will cost a little more but you'll be sure to connect to everything you have.

Best of luck, Mike.

I will add one more PLC to the thread.
http://www.heapg.com/

I know the software is free and they are reasonably priced compared to some. The cool part is the OCS is built with an HMI.

I agree that the DL 06 is awesome for the price, major little workhorse.

I can to testify, when I joined to this forum and read about AD PLCs I was sceptical.I used AD in the past and I did not like it,As someone who program Omron in the last 15 years and AB in the last 6 years.
I though I must give AD chance after all the compliment they got in this respectable forum.
I tried and burned the DL06 is powerful PLC for small projects is excellent I installed about 5 units in the last 4 month and regret I did not use them before.
Dont get me wrong for big projects I will use AB or Omron until I will feel confidence to hold 7000 bread fer hour line.
But I can say I realy impressed it took me one hour to learn 80% from the programing software and I can say that the book is very easy in plain English.
If you search in my postes in the past you can see how much I was against KOYO PLCs, and I must to say I was wrong.
No I am not sales man or something like that just happy customer.
BTW the DL06 is much better then ML1200 which I programming right now or ML1500 (SLC is fiffernt story).
If you are open to new thing take it you will like it.or stick witk ML

Enjoy

Another vote for the DL06. For the price it can't be beat.
The nice thing about the price is that you sometimes can afford to buy extra's like the ECOM module. Hey, where can you buy an ethernet capable plc for 370$ with 20 inputs and 16 outputs and still expandable? No-where! If you look at some postings you'll see that some guys don't like the AD plc's because it doesn't support 'true' only editing, well, the ECOM will allow you to do just that (almost).

Good luck, and if you buy the DL06, also buy the printed manuals, they are really good and handy.

I use the E-Com for programming as substitute to the missing on-line edits, It make the download in zero time.and for remote programming.
no doubt it something you cannot find in other micro PLCs in this price.

Arik, if I am right you did not like the AD plc's before because off the online-editing issue. Glad to see you changed your mind.
So, with the ECOM, do you get decent times to transfer a program. I wanna use a DL260 for a production line and really like to know what the update times would be. Do you have some examples, for example, 2000 rungs in XX seconds? I've used the ECOM before but have none available to try out right now.
Thanks