Check communication load of Compact Logix

ASF

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a 5380 CompactLogix set up with about 50 ethernet devices in the tree, and about 6000 tags being read by an Ignition SCADA instance. The Ignition server is ticking over at just a few % CPU, and all the ethernet devices are communicating fine, but I'd like to check and see how much I'm loading things up from the CLX's perspective as far as communication capacity goes - i.e. am I running at 50% capacity and have plenty of headroom , or I'm running at 90% capacity and should perhaps be looking to upgrade soon?

What can I look at to give me an idea of how close to the wire I am?

I believe you can right click the controller at the top of the tree and select properties. Then view the memory tab. That should show you what you're looking for.

Why not use the EtherNet/IP Capacity Tool Wizard within the Integrated Architecture Builder tool that Rockwell provides...

I believe you can right click the controller at the top of the tree and select properties. Then view the memory tab. That should show you what you're looking for.
That only shows me controller memory, not communications loading.

port configuration and network as well
This doesn't show me any network traffic information

Use the Devices web page. On the Diagnostics tab you will see Comms utilization.
This shows me the I/O traffic load, but does not seem to show anything relating to the SCADA traffic. If I inhibit all my ethernet devices, that figure drops to 0%, but the SCADA is still reading and writing 6000 tags,

Why not use the EtherNet/IP Capacity Tool Wizard within the Integrated Architecture Builder tool that Rockwell provides...
I did that during the design process and I should be well within range based on the number of ethernet devices. What I'm interested in now is, how does the additional load of a SCADA system reading 6000 tags impact the loading?

Have you looked at the Ethernet modules web page? There are a lot of statistics you can get from it.
Yeah I've looked all through it and can't seem to find anything that quite gives me the information I'm looking for.

Web page -> tasks -> class 3 usage.
The 5380 has been powered down for a few days to get it into final position, so in the meantime I've exported/imported the tag database into a 5370 Compact Logix (1769-L16ER) and given it the same address. Ignition is reading/writing the tags.

On the 5370 at least there is no "class 3 usage" in the tasks folder, but I did find this in Advanced Diagnostics/Miscellaneous/System Data.

Would I be correct in saying that "Cip Cpu Util (% x 10)" reading around 130 means that the SCADA tag reads/writes are utilising about 13% of the communication bandwidth (there are no ethernet devices communicating to the L16 as it's limited to 4 devices in any case). Or is that an oversimplification of what I'm seeing?

Screen Shot 2022-10-21 at 8.19.10 am.jpg

Look at the CPU utilization % if above 50% you will have issues

I found where the % was above 50% that i would run into problems on a network. Also, if you can increase the RPI that you're polling a processor that will lower the %.

I think your going to run into problems with over 50.
I would just add an ethernet card to this rack and put the HMI on this card by itsself.