Citect SCADA Backing Up

ieseng

Hi all,
never used Citect SCADA before but need to upgrade from an old version to the latest one.

Can ayone tell me how to backup the SCADA?

Is it as simple as copying the application folder?

Many thanks,
Dave

Basically, when you create a Citect project it is stored in a folder named after the project and located in the user folder. You can get all the details by right mouse on the Project within the project Explorer. If it is a simple project them most likely everything related to the project will be in this folder. But if the project is large or complicated there may be other projects included ( these will also be displayed in the Project explorer and so they can be located also). Also it is possible that someone has created scripts (cicode or vb) that may reference items elsewhere. I just copy everything under the user folder to somewhere safe.

Using Citect Explorer on the menu under tools there are backup and restore functions, using these ensures all the required files are saved. When an old version is opened with a newer version in citect explorer it should automatically prompt you and ask if you want the project to be updated.

Caution

When backing up it will delete all files on the drive (automatically with no warnings) so if using a memorey stick make sure you copy all of your files first. I think this has been rectified with the newer version the old versions did this!

Do you mean when restoring a project it will remove files prior to replacing with the restored files?
I have never seen it delete files when backing up (at least since version 5)

Geoff - I was refering to deleting files from the target drive when backing up. I wasn't sure what version it changed on but I know what it's like to have my USB drive get deleted and there was a lot of swearing and I didn't want Dave to do the same.

Peter

Peter - now I understand what you mean, I always change the backup filename to one that includes a date so that my previous backups are not overwitten

Geoff

i dont know from what version you are upgrading to version 7.0

there are documents to guide you trough the upgrade, you cant simply upgrade from version 2.0 to the current version. you need to upgrade the project to lower versions first.

If you look in the knowledge base there is a description in which steps you must upgrade your project.

Also when creating a backup don't forget your citect.ini file.

regards,

Marsupilami

Thanks guys - I went on a Citect course since and it all appears much simpler now that I've used the software. Only problem I have now is trying to Install v5.21 onto XP, it simply sits there.

Citect have told me to upgrade in this manner:
v5.21 -> v5.31 -> v5.42 -> v5.5 -> v6.1 -> v7.0 (each with all their Service Packs) Should take a while if I can only get v5.21 to install.

If I hit Setup.exe again it just sits there and Task manager shows 2 Setup.exe in the process. I am wondering now if I need to install this onto an NT4 PC and then upgrade that way.

Any ideas?

If you had installed (or started an installation)a later version prior to trying to install 5.21 you need to make sure all the components have been removed including the registery items. I have found Citect upgrades a pain in the bum - in particular moving from version 5 to version 6. I have a job out in the bush coming up that will require an upgrade of V6 to V7 - so I will be interested in hearing the results of your exercise, and any pitfalls you encountered on the way.

Macca

Cheers from OZ