CLX control of a hydraulic axle test?

Paul351W

We are investigating the feasibility of controlling an existing axle test stand with a Controllogix PLC during the course of updating some 10+ year old control hardware.

The stand has 3 hydraulic swash plate motors/pumps per corner (9 total) and the swashplates are controlled by +/-100mA servo valves. The stand is regenerative, oil from the input motors flows to the output motors/pumps. The system runs cycles in speed/speed/tq or speed/tq/tq depending on if the axle is locked or not.

I have read some about the HYD02 module, but am not sure if it would be a good fit for this application since it is intended for motion applications and we are controlling speed/torque. Has anyone done something like this before? We are in the early stages of the project and trying to decide on the lowest cost system that still gives us acceptable performance.