CLX to PanelView 550 via AIC+

seneal

I am trying to set up a CompactLogix L35E with a PanelView 550 (2711-K5A2) with the intent of trouble shooting the PLC program before I take it into the feild to be installed with an existing PanelView 550 (2711-K5A16). I've not had to get a CLX to communicate with an PanelView before so I've read up on the "PLC/SLC Messages" aliasing of the SLC variables for the CLX. I think I've done it correctly but I still have a PV "data errors on link" message. I see 00 workstation, 01 CLX and 02 PV in RSLinx on the DH485. I am wondering if it's the AIC+. Or am I still not getting the "PLC/SLC Messages" right? Thanks

Archive those *.PBA and *.ACD files and post them as a ZIP file, and I'm sure the Forum members who use those routinely (me included) will be glad to have a look.

DH485 isn't the most common network setting for the CompactLogix serial port, but it certainly does work for things like PanelView Standard data acccess.

I figured I would try to eat the elephant one bite at a time. So, I'm just trying to send an integer from the PanelView to the PLC and an integer back from the PLC to the PanelView.

Here are my files.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I see two things that you should change.

The first is in the PanelView communications configuration. Change the device type from CompactLogix to SLC-5/03 OS302.

The PanelView Standard has limited ability to access native ControlLogix-style Tags, but when using DH485 I prefer to go ahead and use SLC emulation all the way. Configure the PanelView as though it is talking to an SLC-5/03 and it will be none the wiser.

The second is the data format of the PanelViewInput tag in RSLogix 5000. Right now it's a DINT[32] array.

Because the PanelView will be addressing 16-bit Words (like in an SLC), the CompactLogix needs to have a corresponding INT[x] array so that the offsets match.

When the PanelView is reading "N7:10", the CompactLogix is responding with the 11th INT in the mapped array, which is the low word of PanelViewInput[5].

Change the array tag PanelViewInput to an INT[32] or even INT[255] array, and the offsets should work the way you expect.

Ken,

I made your sugested changes and crossed my fingers. But, now I get a Data errors on the link message. If I unplug my 1747-UIC I get a required network node(s) not found flashing. I have my CompactLogix connected to the AIC+ with a 1747-CP3 and am connected to the PanelView with a 1761-CBL-AS03. Do I need to go dig up a 2711-NC13?

Thanks for your help.

Seth

PanelBuilder32 shows us that the PanelView 550 is Node 8, targeting CompactLogix at Node 1.

RSLogix 5000 confirms that the CompactLogix is Node 1.

The 1747-CP3 from the CompactLogix to the AIC+ is fine, as is the -AS03 from the AIC+ to the PanelView.

What node number is RSLinx and the 1747-UIC using ? How are they connected to the AIC+ ?

If the 1747-UIC was also Node 1, I would not expect you to be able to browse the CompactLogix with it in RSLinx, but it would explain the change in network behavior when you remove it. Hmm.

Last edited:
Ken,

I was doing searching online and I found that one of the reasons for a "data errors on the link message" is dirty 24VDC to the AIC+. So I dug up a Sola P/S and problems solved.

Thanks for all of you help. I'd still be scratching my head even with the new P/S.

Seth