CLX to PLC5

Off to the pub! Geez I haven't even left for work yet.

icon14.gif

Good Luck

Marc

It seems to be Plc 5 processors as in RIO adapter mode supports only 8 i/o words ie 1 logical rack in discrete transfer remaining should be block transfer

It is stated in PLC 5 user manual

Alan, I read you are trying to not buy hardware above. This will work using DHRIO card. I have done one a long time ago. The catch is that the block ransfers use a lot of communication resources from your CLX. There are limitations in the RIO module too. The DHRIO is not nearly as powerful a RIO scanner as PLC5. I can't remember the details but you can get in a corner if you are not careful. Advise reading up on this. There are some old posts on here about it.

Also, if you ever do get a budget and can spend a little money. THe ControlNet option is the way to go on this type of setup. 1756-CNB and 1771-ACN. Setup is a snap.

RSL

As RSL mentioned, when you read up on it one of the limitations is that it (1756-DHRIO) does not support PLC-5 in adapter mode at all.

Edit:
[Now that I look at a current manual, maybe it is now supported. They now show it in an example network, but I remember in the past that it did not work.]

Last edited:
Alan, have you tried mapping the I/O in the PLC to a user file instead of directly mapping the I:000 and O:000 addresses?

We used to do that to share I/O between a SLC and two PLC5 systems. I am not sure if that will work with C-Logix, but if it does, you can actually "connected" data table addresses via the RIO channel from one processor to the other and specify which file numbers to share in the data tables in the channel properties settings.

In your case, the PLC5 would then have to have a minimal amount of logic to do the copying from the real I/O to your image that will be shared over the RIO link. Then the 1/2 slot addressing mode would not be a factor.

I don't believe you can entirely eliminate the program in the PLC5. It's been a long time, but as I recall, you set up N files in the adapter mode PLC5 for the scanner to read and write to as I and O. You also need to nominate separate data areas in the adapter for block transfers and associate them with virtual slots. The adapter PLC5 has to move the data to and from these areas. The adapter PLC5 will have to perform the block transfers to the relevant modules in its local chassis.

The adapter mode can only simulate a single logical rack. It can have "slots" dedicated for block transfers. The addressing mode of its local chassis has no bearing on the operation. By setting the discrete transfer addresses to I:0 and O:0 you've misled yourself.

Thanks for all the replies. This is not for a project at present. We are still closed for the Christmas break and I am using the time to get my head around the different capabilities of comms between CLX and PLC5. We have a test bench (wall) set up so this is a bit of self training.
Test_Station.jpg

Regards Alan Case