CLX to SLC messaging

No I didn't take it as a sales pitch, and I hope I don't offend you but, I make it a point to never visit anyone I meet online. Personal rule, I seen way too many weird things on tv.

LOL,

The interwebz is awesome. Don't let TV freak you out.

CroCop, there's many kinds of crazy, most of them are fun and relativly harmless. But every once in a while....
That's not to imply that So'n'so's crazy, but I'd rather stick to the awesome 'interwebz' then get busted by some news show trying to catch online predators. Ya no?
And that's not to say that I'm an online preditor, I'm merely preventing a false accusaton in the event that So'n'so works for FOX news.

THE_POINT: There is nothing I need from this forum or anyone in it that I can only attain by meeting with someone. I'd rather stay online.

Besides, it's getting to the point where you can't even open your email without an antivirus anymore, let alone open your front door. Ya no?

Last edited:
Meh, I know a few forum members in real life.
As well as other websites.
I guess I haven't put that much thought into it.

Ok, I've hit another brick wall and my research seems to lead me off a cliff into the informational abyss.

I'm trying to set up a message instruction from a CLX to a SLC 5/05
I'm trying to read the Bit file, the Integer File, and the output file.

For the Bit and Integer files I'm using the SLC Typed Read message Type. And I'm using the same DF1 solution to read the output file as described earlier.
Regardless of the message, I get the same error:
001F Error processing connection related service
Extended error: 0204 Unconnected message timeout

I'm fairly certain that my Path is valid
I'm using the format EthernetCardName,2,IPAddress
but I get the same error every time.
Has anyone else experienced this? I'm really stuck here.

here are links to screen shots of the config and communications tabs
http://www.esnips.com/doc/ea0aa4f9-e790-4f83-b4ad-17852afa3d7a/SLCmessage1
http://www.esnips.com/doc/fd1a0cd8-526e-4541-8a27-0a8eb53bfe8a/SLCmessage2

Last edited:
[cracks knuckles] Let's see, here.

First, I don't think the trick to read Output files with a MSG from a ControlLogix will work going directly to an SLC-5/05 controller. The 5/05 doesn't have the need to support that "PCCC Object" function that we're having our way with in the 1761-NET-ENI. I have not tried this.

Error 0x0204 is always a Timeout, and it almost always means that a target device is disconnected from the network.

It might also mean, though, that the device can't open a connection using the protocol we want.

If this SLC-5/05 is more than about 10 years old, it may only support the legacy "CSPv4" Ethernet protocol, and not the EtherNet/IP protocol that ControlLogix uses.

SLC-5/05 controllers were equipped with a "dual-stack" function to allow them to talk to both old PLC-5E somewhere around OS501 FRN 5, released in April 1999. You can find the SLC's operating system information on the "Proc" tab of the controller Status file display in S:57, S:58, and S:59.

If you do have an old SLC, would you be willing to do a little analysis and capture, for the sake of posterity, before doing an upgrade ?

Apathetic Customer Support Representative: "Did you check to make sure it is plugged in?"
Me: "WHAT KINDA LAME QUESTION IS THAT? I am a professional! Don't you think that I woulda.... oh, uhh, I can't ping it." Maybe, and this is a big maybe; the primary slc that I'm trying to read is faulted for one reason or another, and they're running on the backup slc...

Oh well, we won't know until monday morning. Anyone who has a good reason why the df1 via message instruction (PCCC) wouldn't work for a SLC5/05, please speak up. I really don't want to fault the backup SLC. Trust me. That would be very bad for a lot of people.

Last edited:
Check the IP address, the subnet mask, and the default gateway on your PC and the SLC.

If the SLC doesn't have a Default Gateway address and the originating controller is not on the same Subnet, then the reply from the SLC might not go through the router it came from.

I'm not a TCP/IP expert so I don't totally understand why, but that's what I have seen. No PING, definitely no MSG.

Hi all!

I am facing the same issue as you pointed in this thread. I need to get data from a SLC 5/05, some of the data are COUNTERS and TIMERS acc.

I've checked the PCCC over CIP Generic Messages documentation (1770-rm516), and all is referred to SLC50/1 to SLC 5/04. I am not sure if the document was released before the SLC5/05 or that the SLC 5/05 does not understand PCCC.

I've also tried the sample program that Ken Roach posted in other thread (http://plctalk.net/qanda/showpost.php?p=308537&postcount=6).

The point is that when i send the message i get the error:
Error code: 0001f
Ext. error code: 0000_0204
Error text: Error processing connection related service

To check the communication paths and so on i also have implemented an SLC Typed Read MESSAGE to get data from the same PLC and is working fine.

Please, can you tell me if you were able to communicate with the SLC5/05 trough PCCC?

Thanks!