Communication between plc SLC 500 (5/04) and computer

vgspark

Hello guys.
I have some question regarding communication between plc SLC 500 (5/04) and computer. The plc I got used and it is my first time that I try to communicate between plc and computer. I have rslink installed and I have 9 pins communication Cable that I can comunicate between PLC and computer. All fun buto_O I can't to get comunication between plc and computer. In rslink I choosed on option box and clicked on “RS-232 DF-1 devices”, and clicked the “Add New…” button then “OK” button. Next, driver setup dialog box. I configured the dialog box upon my computer.
When I tray to click the “Auto Configure” button I got message "Auto Configure fails"
On plc I have a fault red flashing and DH+ flashing green. I asked my frend and he said there is some trick for first comunication cuz the processor doesn't has program. Pls guys help me to solve this issue.
Thank you in advance,
VG

When you do the auto-configure make sure you are selecting the right com port for your computer. There is also 2 pins that you can jumper on the SLC-504 that resets it. Do a search here on resetting the processor.

There is also 2 pins that you can jumper on the SLC-504 that resets it.

Pull the battery, turn the card over and look for VBB and GND, short these two points for about 30 sec, then try your auto configure again, like Mark said... make sure you are using the correct COM port, also what is the 9 pin cable?

Note: by doing this you will erase the CPU memory and program

Pull the battery, turn the card over and look for VBB and GND, short these two points for about 30 sec, then try your auto configure again, like Mark said... make sure you are using the correct COM port, also what is the 9 pin cable?

Note: by doing this you will erase the CPU memory and program
Thank guys.
I did already that you asked.I shorted the VBB and GND, points for about 30 sec but it didn't help. Regarding right com port,I tried to communicate with other plc micrologix 1000 it is working.I use com cabel for slc 500, 9 pin straight connection.
Thank.
VG

2-3
3-2
5-5
Jumper 4-6 (both ends)
Jumper 7-8 (both ends)

That should do it.

Good luck,

(8{)} :) .)
(Yosi)

Thank you Mickey.
I will try do this cable. One more question regarding rslink.What I need to do more that I did before.
Regards.
VG

What I need to do more that I did before.

No, with the proper cable it should work.

You do have a real serial port on the PC don't you? If not ,not all USB to serial adapters work with autoconfigure.

See pdf's below for RSLinx Setup and if autoconfigure does not work you might want to try setting up RSLinx manually see PDF below for the SLC's default settings.

You also might want to try the reset procedure again, only this time short for 60 sec, see pdf below.

defaultConfig.png

Attachments

• rslinx_setup_serial.pdf
    130.4 KB · Views: 58
  • ClearMemorySLC.pdf
    72.3 KB · Views: 41
Hey there,
I am also new to this stuff, and connecting with PLC through wires has been the smallest of my problems. However, I had a pretty similar situation with a A-B 1784-U2DHP cable, that is USB to DH+. I tried reinstalling controller drives, changing ports, and nothing. And it was really weird because I had the connection few minutes before.
The problem was that the USB connector on the cable was loose and I had to press it a little to make the proper communication. I know, sounds really stupid, but it completely worked.
I left these links from files that helped me a lot with this cable connectivity stuff.

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/1747-in009_-en-p.pdf

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1747-um011_-en-p.pdf

R3gards,