Communication Protocols

DF1

Hello,

I would appreciate if anyone can provide a difference between the communication buses IEC-104/IEC-101 protocol and other well-known industrial communication networks such as Modbus and Ethernet in terms of bandwidth, reliability and other parameters ??

Thank you

Well, the biggest difference would be support and knowledge; not many people use 101/104. Think of it as a more complicated Modbus with 101=RTU and 104=TCP. It's basically trying to remake CIP & Ethernet/IP to be cleaner and that's something that no one really asked for.

The main advantage over Modbus is native support for cyclic data transfer, so you don't have the client polling the server to get data every cycle. However, if you need better performance than Modbus TPC for cyclic data transfer and you really need it to coexist with normal TCP/IP traffic, I would just go with Ethernet/IP since it will either have integrated support or at least a library and 104 will most likely not.

If you're looking for hard numbers, you're going to have to find someone dedicated enough to 104 to have actually tested it.