Compact Logix Remote Mode Change

Powerchamp

Hi there,

Is it possible to change the mode (Run/RemoteProg etc) of a Compact Logix remotely or programmatically through fault logic?

I am simulating equipment and would like to pause the PLC scan execution at the same time I pause my simulation.

Any help appreciated.

PC.

Hi there,

Is it possible to change the mode (Run/RemoteProg etc) of a Compact Logix remotely or programmatically through fault logic?

I am simulating equipment and would like to pause the PLC scan execution at the same time I pause my simulation.

Any help appreciated.

PC.

From memory, isnt there a way to create User Defined Errors? That would work.

You can fault a controller programmatically, of course. Referencing an array element higher than the array size is a classic method.

But you can't have a controller "turn itself to PROG mode" or "turn itself to RUN mode".

In general, Studio 5000 is the tool used to change the mode remotely.

You can certainly programmatically control the execution of your routines by conditioning them on real-world I/O or tags set via network communications. But not the actual mode of the controller operating system.

I'm fairly certain that pre v20, like a 6 pack certain, that a correctly formatted CIP packet or MSG, you can change the mode. Starting at v20, this was locked down.

https://advancedhmi.com/documentation/index.php?title=Class_Codes_for_ControlLogix

This will be unhelpful if you have a modern CompactLogix that doesn't support older firmware but it was possible at one point. I read an unofficial Rockwell document that says v20 and newer, that there is something about the upload process that authenticates whether the mode can be changed or not.

One thing that I cannot remember, in newer firmware, if the CIP command is sent from within the controller, will the mode change? I'm certain that it won't externally, I can't remember if it will internally. I suspect it won't.

Edit: I suppose that if you could change the controller to PGM mode internally (regardless of revision), you wouldn't be able to do the reverse simply because the program is no longer scanning.

I'm familiar with the old unsecured CIP mode change, but I'm not eager to discuss it on the Forum.

I really don't think there's a good argument that an emulation or simulation system should try to change the mode of the controller operating system, rather than gracefully controlling the execution of the various routines within each task.

I'm familiar with the old unsecured CIP mode change, but I'm not eager to discuss it on the Forum.

I really don't think there's a good argument that an emulation or simulation system should try to change the mode of the controller operating system, rather than gracefully controlling the execution of the various routines within each task.

Touche.

Thank you all for the replies, the pre v20 CIP message is an interesting find.

Thanks Ken, understood.

I can't believe I didn't think of that in the first place hah. I'll just throw a paused flag in front of all my JSR's.

Thanks again all.