Compactlogix L1, 1769-L16ER, losing RTC

pablo_660

Hi everybody,

I have an issue with the realtime clock on the AB 1769-L16ER-1BB1B. Every time I cycle the power the time reverts to Jan 1, 1998 at 12AM. It doesn't matter how long power is down. Any power cycle will do it. Only the RTC is lost... all others values are retained

Thank for your help

Need more info. Is the reverted RTC value you're referring to the immediate result of a GSV instruction?

If something like the energy storage module (be it battery or capacitor) were culprit, you'd retain nothing.

Possible sources of clock modification are an SSV instruction or externally by the Logix 5000 Clock Update Tool.

Last edited:
Please attach a screenshot of the 'Nonvolatile Memory' tab.

What firmware is the controller rolling?

Last edited:
You do have to set it at least once, so that it will show up on that Date/Time tab.

But after that, it should hold the time through a power cycle unless the RAM is corrupted or the RTC is damaged or defective.

My understanding is that the RTC subsystem is backed by the same battery or energy storage unit as the RAM, but that it's separate hardware. It could still be defective on your particular controller.

Understood; the newest platforms use capacitors instead of batteries.

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/468536

The capacitor provides power to the CPU for a few seconds after main power shutdown, which allows it to save the current program and values to nonvolatile flash memory (internal, not the SD card). That will last indefinitely.

The capacitor then only has to run the RTC circuit. Generally it will run for several weeks, but it does depend on the ambient temperature.

In your case, the symptoms you describe are consistent with a damaged or defective RTC component. It's either not getting power from the capacitor system or it is itself damaged or defective.

I don't know if the CompactLogix has a self-test that can diagnose a failure of the RTC subsystem, other than the symptoms of returning to the default 1998 date.

pablo,

I am not sure I am allowed to post that information since it is a Rockwell Techconnect access and probably against their and this forums rules. Sorry.

Just to add...

I remember reading this technote from the last time we were looking into this problem in that other thread...

456890 - NSE on the CompactLogix 5370 1769-L30ER-NSE
Access Level: Everyone

...but it relates specifically to the NSE controller, which is a "No Stored Energy" controller for high risk explosive applications. As we know, in the controllers we are dealing with, the RTC is normally held up by the capacitor alone and is not saved to the non volatile memory. The NSE controller, as it has no capacitor, does not backup its RTC. The program is, however, retained in non volatile memory.

While the controllers we are dealing with on this issue so far do have an Energy Storage Module (ESM) i.e. capacitor, it is still interesting to note the effect of not having one.

The NSE controller defaults its non ESM backed RTC to...

12/31/1997 7:00:00PM

Which is the same "symptom" as our friends have presented with here.

So we know that this TIME/DATE is a actually default for these controllers more so than just some anomalous values.

Now, what is causing the ESM based controllers to not backup their RTC values and default?

A firmware issue is certainly feasible here and after reading rdeyoung's solution in the other thread it would act to reaffirm that notion. A bug in a certain firmware revision that does not execute the ESM store at power down. Very possible.

Also, of further note on that, is the fact that it was r20.xx firmware that was at fault and flashing up to r26.xx firmware fixed the issue.

This makes me wonder, if the fact that r20.xx/RSLogix 5000 was the starting point for the new 5370 CompactLogix, but was not their intended home i.e. r21/Logix Designer and higher; that the r20 firmware written for these controllers was somewhat rushed while under pressure to get them to market, leaving them prone to having potential bugs. Lots of initial releases are full of bugs, as we know.

Of course, in some cases here, it could also simply be faulty ESMs that are failing to backup the RTC. A bad batch of them perhaps? Just another consideration.

But then we have our friend here...

Pablo_660 said:
...Firmeware version 20.13...

Low and behold, you are using r20.xx firmware.

Hmm, well fancy that for coincidence?

A flash to something newer than r20.xx would indeed be advisable to see does it remedy the problem, but...

The only thing for r20 users facing this issue, if it does turn out to be r20 firmware related going forward, is that if they have not, or cannot, make the leap from RSLogix 5000 to Studio 5000/Logix Designer, at this point in time, then they cannot resolve this issue for the foreseeable future.

EDIT: Spanner in the works...

I forgot, your problem is resetting the RTC to ...1998 and not ...1997!
Which would indicate some "other" issue besides the RTC defaulting to ...1997.

If we look at the technote that KuulKuum linked, which I remember now viewing before, a 1998 reset on an RTC means the RTC is defective itself. The only instance where something else is also defective is the RAM; but if so the controller clears its memory and this is not the case here as the program is retained.

Yes, I would now concur with Ken here that the RTC hardware is most likely defective.

Regards,
George

Last edited: