CompactLogix L16ER BB1B produced consumed tags

drshanester

Good Day to the peeps of PLCs!

I am trying to create a produced/consumed handshake between two CompactLogix 1769-L16ER BB1B PLCs while online (Studio 5000 v33). When I try to create the Producer in the Consumer's IO tree (under the Ethernet netrwork), the "New Module" menu item is greyed out. The instructional video's I've been able to find show this being done online.

1. Is this even possible to do online with this processor?
2. Is there a check box somewhere that locks this functionality?
3. Does the unit need to be in Program mode, perhaps?

I'm trying not to shut down the unit because the system is running. Any help is appreciated. Thanks Sincerely,

Shane

Produced/Consumed tags must be created offline and downloaded to the processor. If you are unable to stop the process, you must use message instructions.

It shouldn't be possible at all to create a Produced / Consumed Tag while online in PROG or RUN modes.

Can you point out a video that shows that being done ? Some platforms and networks (1756 EtherNet/IP) support creating I/O modules in runtime but not Produced / Consumed Tags.

(I could be wrong, especially with new platforms and firmware. I've been using Logix since 1998 so that's always been a piece of conventional wisdom for me).

Produced/consumed tags can be added only offline in all Logix controllers.
The reason that “New Module” is grayed out is because compact logic can’t add any I/O online