CompactLogix to SLC serial messaging

Cangialosi24

Good morning,

I’m looking for assistance on what hardware is needed to message from a CompactLogix L3 controller to a SLC 5/03 or 5/04 via serial communication. The ConpactLogix doesn’t appear to have an onboard serial port so I wasn’t sure if the 1769-ASCII card could be used for this.

Thanks

The 1769-ASCII module is used to communicate with ASCII devices using RS232, RS422, and RS485 connection. It does not support the DF-1 protocol and is not used for processor to processor communications. I would look into an ethernet gateway for the the SLC, or convert to a SLC5/05.

That's a great question !

One method would be to use an EtherNet/IP to DF1 converter that is specifically built to transport the SLC-500 style data table file reads and writes to DF1 serial. The classic one is the now-discontinued Allen-Bradley 1761-NET-ENI, but third-party devices like the Digi One IAP and Real Time Automation 515RTAENI are still popular.

If you had a newer 5069-series CompactLogix, then 5069-SERIAL module supports DF1 messaging as well as ASCII string data.

But with a 1769-L3x (I don't know if it's the L32E or L35E, or the L30/33/36 family), the 1769-ASCII supports only ASCII (to my knowledge).

If you choose a networked Ethernet/serial converter, take care to be certain it understands CIP and PCCC and DF1 like the A-B or Digi or RTA or Prosoft modules do. A general-purpose Ethernet serial server will not do what you want.