SLC migration to CompactLogix

ThomasGruetter

Lifetime Supporting Member
This SLC system has been partially upgraded with a CompactLogix 1769-L19ER processor. The I/O of the SLC was left in place and connected to the new processor with a 1747-AENTR card. There have been failures with the SLC card and the wiring is messy. I was tasked to propose a replacement for the SLC rack/cards and redo the sloppy wiring.

The CompactLogix is installed in a cabinet next to the existing one. We could add I/O cards to that system and reroute the wiring or replace the SLC rack.
First step is a proposal and I'm asking for advice on hardware to use: Beside cost looking for reliability and long term availability.
(Note the 1746-IN16 has no connections)

CL_Layout.png

1734 seems more applicable for very low I/O counts and you are on the upper end of that, imo.

I'd probably consider CompactLogix rack in the spot where the SLC rack
currently is. That makes the wiring simple.

It would be nice if you could use Compact 5000 (5069-*) modules but I'm not sure if a 5069-AENTR will play nicely with a 1769-L19ER-BB1B processor?

The hardware cost of the 1734 series is attractive even with more cards required.
How is the quality of the 1734 hardware?? Any issues to expect?

I'm curious why you chose the L19ER if you weren't going to use POINT I/O. It's the largest-RAM version of the L1's, of course.

The 1769-L19 controller can use local 1734 POINT, remote 1734 POINT or 1769 Compact, or other adapters like your legacy 1747 rack adapter.

It can't run 5069-series I/O remotely or locally; you would need an all-new 5069 controller for that.

The 1769-L19ER-BB1B has 16 digital inputs and 16 digital outputs embedded in the base. Are any of those in use ?

In general, POINT I/O is inexpensive and fairly durable. It's a mature product, particularly the discrete stuff. I have seen it fail in very high vibration or dirty environments.

The one module I've seen premature failures on was the thermocouple POINT input module. But that also had a customer who was almost certainly applying 24V to it during their calibration process, and who never reported any additional failures after their technician retired.