Allen Bradley SLC 5/04 migration

avenkates

Hi,
I am using SLC 5/04 CPU (CAT# 1747-L542) with 1746 series I/O cards. I would like to replace only 5/04 CPU card with control / compact logix card. Give me your suggestion pls..

Not sure I fully understand... but what I think you are saying can not be done, you must replace the whole rack and not just the CPU

Hi,
I am using SLC 5/04 CPU (CAT# 1747-L542) with 1746 series I/O cards. I would like to replace only 5/04 CPU card with control / compact logix card. Give me your suggestion pls..

You can keep the SLC I/O and replace the SLC 5/04 with a 1747-AENTR. This rack will then become an Ethernet drop for a compact/contrologix.
Only I/O cards in the SLC rack are supported.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/ap/1769-ap001_-en-p.pdf

Something to consider:

A major difference between using the 1747-AENTR adapter with SLC I/O
modules and any other Logix compatible I/O system is that the 1747-AENTR
adapter does not support a Rack Optimized connection type. This means that
each module is an individual connection to the controller. These connections
must be taken into account when converting the SLC controller. The main
considerations are the effect on the Logix controller's total number of
connections and the allowable RPIs to the modules in the 1747-AENTR chassis.

When you're selecting a CompactLogix controller, be sure it is rated for more connections than SLC modules you have, as each SLC module will take 1 connection. Additionally, size it for anything else talking to it. That includes processors communicating with explicit messages, Panelview Terminals (these take about 4 connections each, and any FactoryTalk View SE instances.

Last edited:
Just my opinion... but depending on the rack size it maybe better to just replace the rack and not go with the Ethernet option, I think the Ethernet is a great idea and thinking out of the box but I am not a big fan of the card, I have only worked with one so it may be just my experience with it

avenkates, what I/O is in the rack that your 5/04 is running? why would you just want to replace the CPU and not the rack/IO is it just a cost savings you are looking for?

Last edited:
@geniusintraining

I am using 80 I/O's with this SLC 5/04 and 4 HMI's (Panel View 550 through DH+). Since PV550's are obsolete, I am thinking of replacing PV550 with low cost Ethernet compatibility HMi's. For this first I have to replace SLC5/04 with compact / control logix.

Thx

@geniusintraining

I am using 80 I/O's with this SLC 5/04 and 4 HMI's (Panel View 550 through DH+). Since PV550's are obsolete, I am thinking of replacing PV550 with low cost Ethernet compatibility HMi's. For this first I have to replace SLC5/04 with compact / control logix.

May be a good match and a good savings but... I still think that you may want to look into a DH+ to Ethernet bridge, by using the bridge you would leave the 5/04 the same and not have to do any programming on that system

Keith, it was when they first came out and it seamed there was not a lot of support, my customer bought one then wanted me to install it over a weekend at a feed mill because they were told that it would "SOLVE ALL THEIR ISSUES".... it was hot, it stunk and scratching my head on Sunday at midnight trying to get things up and running before everyone started to show up just left a bad taste in my mouth for them, I am sure your experience was much better then mine.

It was a job that I should of passed on (and knew it) anytime a customer calls and says "I just got off the phone with X and they said..." I need to tell them to have X do the job

Originally posted by geniusintraining:

...they were told that it would "SOLVE ALL THEIR ISSUES".... it was hot, it stunk and scratching my head on Sunday at midnight trying to get things up and running before everyone started to show up...

Yea, that would do it. I don't know what issues they thought they were going to solve. In my case we were adding a new drive platform that we wanted to communicate to via Ethernet/IP and the customer was not happy at all with the state of the existing program. They were asking for a full rewrite. But they also had a healthy stock of spare SLC I/O modules. So we figured we could do everything a single platform while not touching any machine wiring. In our case it worked out pretty well.

The one thing we got bit on was the original design used a high speed input to a high speed 1746 DC input module to count web lineal. You can't perform the interrupt function over Ethernet/IP so we needed to do something a little different there. But outside of that things were pretty smooth, except for this of course. But in the end that one was my fault.

Keith

You can replace the SLC CPU with a 1747-ASB and use a Smart SoftPLC as the new controller. The existing logic can be converted and all the wiring and any HMI code doesn't need to change (except the network type if you change to Enet). If you want to keep the DH+ for a while you can do so, or the SoftPLC has a built-in 4 port Ethernet switch. http://softplc.com/products/migrations/

For only 80 IO just replace the entire PLC. Either way you are buying a processor and power supply, so the difference is in the IO cards, and unless that 80 includes a large number of analog points it will come out to be about the same cost as the 1747-AENTR.

@geniusintraining

Thx

Or an SLC 5/05.