SLC 500 (1747-L30C) migration to Micrologix 1100

aoshin

I'm currently working on a project to upgrade all of our 1747-L30Cs (SLC 500 fixed hardware) to Micrologix. I know these are both programmed in RS Logix 500 and the migration should not be too painful, however, i was wondering about addressing differences. Does anyone know upfront what kind of addressing changes i would have to make to my program to be able to upload and run off the Micrologix processor?

I have used both in integration at our plant. There are no surprises with respect to addressing. The only thing is, your expansion cards will need to be addressed like O:0.0/1....etc. This is the same as the old method on the SLC hardware platform.
Why the Brick style PLC? Is your company trying to save money?
Although the ML1100 functions well, it is in the low end of the PLC lineup spectrum. I assume that you had no DH+ or RIO stuff.
BTW, you will need to upgrade your RSlogix to version 7.0 to use the ML1100, if you didn't know already.

We use it in a stand alone application where speed is critical. We use control logix and PLC5s for most of our applications. Thanks a lot for your help. Also, for this application, i would not be using expansion I/O so that would not be an issue.

I was in the same boat changing to MicroLogix from SLC500.

One big difference I noticed in changing from the fixed I/O SLC500 to MicroLogix was in the status bits, especially the "free-running clock".

My old SLC500 programs used bit S:4/5 for an alarm light flasher. When I tested my first program with the old program modified for the MicroLogix, the alarm light flashed like crazy!

I had to adjust the flasher bit to S:4/13 to get a slower flashing rate. I'm sure many of the status bits DO NOT align with the SLC500 memory map.

I have done a couple of these.
Your biggest problem is not going to be addressing or software conversion. Your biggest problem is going to be that on the SLC500 fixed IO brick the outputs are on the top and the inputs are on the bottom, while on all the Micrologix PLCs the inputs are on top and the outputs are on bottom. In one particular case I did not have the luxury of enough downtime to change out the wires so I mounted the Micrologix upside down. The extra height of the the fixed SLC means the wires should be long enough to reach the smaller footprint Micro if you do have to mount it upside down.