Compensation for Mandatory Quarantine before Startup in Foreign Country

Quarantine is tough duty. Two weeks in a hotel room without being able to leave is very hard on you. I agree with the idea of telling the company to give you design work that you can bill for while in the room, and give you half pay since the customer is paying that.

...and give you half pay since the customer is paying that.

I mean; I'm glad that you think that is fair, but I'm not interested in being locked away from my family for weeks for half of normal pay, when I could just say "NO" and stay home for regular pay. You sound a bit like my first bosses here, honestly..

I agree with the idea of telling the company to give you design work that you can bill for while in the room, and give you half pay since the customer is paying that.
You mean you get paid half a salary extra, or only half a salary, while in quarantine ?

IMO, if you are in quarantine then you are working (regardles of if you are doing any productive work) and should be paid normal salary plus a compensation for being away from family.
edit: Plus you get a per diem every day you are away.
If you are quarantined in weekends or holidays, you should be extra compensated for this on top of the salary + away compensation.
That being isolated in a hotel room is quite a strain on psyche and family should be compensated on top of all the above. But I guess only the most ethically prudent companies will do that.

Within normal working hours, you company can expect you to work as much as it is possible in you situation. I dont think you should be extra rewarded for that.

Last edited:
I see the quarantine time as part of your normal work duties. Quarantine should be itemized on the bill the same as any other aspect of the work you are performing. You are not free to do as you please during any part of it and should be compensated for all of those days. Not for 24 hours per day, of course.

How long do your startups normally last? Does the company already do something extra for you if a startup runs longer than expected?

If I was being asked to quarantine for the week - no problem. If it were 14 days - that is a problem.

Personally, I wouldn't go after the extra pay. I would go after the missed time with family on the weekends. I would want an extra vacation day for every weekend day I missed. Or - if I were on salary - I would be letting my employer know that I would be taking days off in the week following my return so I could make up time with the family.