Compumotor Dynaserv

Blair

Anyone familiar with the Parker/Compumotor Dynaserv motors? I am trying to determine if I can drive this particular motor with another brand servo drive( Control Tecniques-Unidrive). I am really not sure if this a stepper motor or a servo motor or if there is actually a difference in the two. I always called it a stepper motor because I required a step+ and a step- signal to the drive.But in ome literature I was looking at they refered to it as a direct drive servo motor. Looking for some clarification.

Sorry I don't know that motor or drive.

But I do know servo motors and stepper motors are very different, you cannot interchange drives or motors between the two.

If you do have a servomotor then the CT drive you have should run it if the power ratings are in spec.

When "stepper" mode is used with servodrives it usually means that the servodrive/servomotor setup can be commanded from a pulse train (or two).

I would say maybe. You do need to find out if it is a servo. How many wires does it have? If it is a servo then it could work. As a rule I don't like mixing different brand servo motors and drives. It can be done if you have to. I would recommend changing both if you can. If you have a salesman pushing Control Techniques then I would have him spec a motor to replace the one you have. If it is setup in step/dir with the current drive you will want to make sure how many steps per rev.

http://www.compumotor.com/literature/pg089_dynaDR5000.htm

http://www.controltechniques.com/products/products_frame.htm?servo_drives.asp&mainFrame

You ask how many wires are coming out ot the motor. There are three power wires. How does this relate to determine if is a stepper/servo? The literature I read from Parker talks about the drive motor combination as a servo unit but looking at the motor construction with as many poles as it has, it looks to me to be possibly a stepper.

You ask how many wires are coming out ot the motor. There are three power wires. How does this relate to determine if is a stepper/servo?

If it was a stepper then it would have at least 4 wires. Two for each phase.