Connect between Coppoerate LAN (ethernet) and Industrial Ethernet

Erik vdH

Hi there,

I have an RSView32 machine connected to a ControlLogix 5555 processor. Everything is well the system works. I am logging various data points to the PCs hard disk using both DBF files and ODBC to mdf (MS Access).

I want to improve the system by making the data from the local disk available to the corporate LAN. So I have to talk to the IT guys about it.

I would have thought that it is not wise to simply plug my networks together using an ethernet switch, because of potential traffic and security issues. I have heard people talking about fitting a second ethernet card into the PC and so creating a kind of isolation between the networks.

Anyone with experience in this?

Erik

we have two NIC cards in one pc. one is talking to the Logix Enet network & other connected to the Industial Lan Connection to avoid handing on the controls network

We have a server that gathers the info from all our PLC's.
Then that is made available to the rest of the world on our
corp network.

Adding a second network card would be the best decision based on what you've described. In a very secure environment this would probably be unacceptable, but is a MUCH better idea than bridging the networks for this single point of access.

You'll find that it's very simple to do. You can even get a USB ethernet adapter if you don't want to open up the case. Each network card has its own settings. Hopefully the two networks are defined on different subnets. Your computer will seamlessly be able to talk to either side of the network.

Forgot to mention this - if IT wants a secure connection from your computer to their (corporate) network, they'd probably want to go with a VPN. Doesn't sound like the case here.

Erik vdH said:
Hi there,

I have an RSView32 machine connected to a ControlLogix 5555 processor. Everything is well the system works. I am logging various data points to the PCs hard disk using both DBF files and ODBC to mdf (MS Access).

I want to improve the system by making the data from the local disk available to the corporate LAN. So I have to talk to the IT guys about it.

I would have thought that it is not wise to simply plug my networks together using an ethernet switch, because of potential traffic and security issues. I have heard people talking about fitting a second ethernet card into the PC and so creating a kind of isolation between the networks.

Anyone with experience in this?

Erik

Last edited:
hey thanks for the ideas, I will go ahead with the two NIC cards. I'll have to see if the IT guys agree to it first though...