what is the difference between RemoteConnect and Workbench?

pml_28

What is the difference between RemoteConnect and Workbench? Can I program the ScadaPack 474 using RemoteConnect only?

I will be working on a project soon that uses a ScadaPack, however I have no experience with this equipment. I am familiar with PLCs from Siemens and Rockwell Automation. But no experience with Schneider equipment.

thanks

Last edited:
The 474 uses RemoteConnect only. Its a free download from the Schneider Exchange website.

Programming is done in a "containerized" version of Schneiders Control Expert that launches from within Remote Connect. Supports all the IEC languages, but I'd highly recommend using FBD over ladder if you're familiar with it; Schneiders ladder editor sucks big time.

If this is a DNP3 application and you've never used it before I'd suggest a DNP3 primer course or some background reading on event classes, point types etc before starting. Will save you a lot of re-work.

You essentially have a point Database which you define in RemoteConnect that then gives you variables within the programming editor. I use the Import / Export function extensively, and build most of my point database in Excel before starting any code. Creating points one by one in Remote Connect is very tedious.

As a software package I'd say it's still only just at Beta level useability. Written by programmers, not designed by engineers. But once you are coding in Control Expert, that part is very good and quite powerful. If you have any old Unity Pro or Control Expert user defined function blocks from their PLC range you can directly inport them.

Good luck!