connect differential encoder to Micro850?

MikeBriggs

Can the built-in high speed counter on an AB Micro850 only use single ended encoder inputs, not differential? I'm trying to get a differential encoder to work with a Micro850's built-in HSC inputs, and not having much luck. But this is my first time using an encoder with it (and CCW), so I could be screwing something up somewhere.

What exact sort of signal does the encoder provide ? What voltage is the signal ?

Are you connecting the "Signal-" terminals to the Common terminal ?

The Micro 850's high speed inputs can be set up for Sinking or for Sourcing. All the inputs 00-07 are going to be grouped to reference against whatever voltage you connect to COM0.

But there's no differential input mode for those ordinary I/O. They will always be 24V signals relative to the Common terminal.

The plug-in high speed encoder input module 2080-MOT-HSC does have a true differential input mode, with voltages down to 2.6 volts.

You might need an encoder level shifter, a MOT-HSC module, or a different encoder.