Connecting a plc-5/30 to a panelview plus 6

MosesJ

Hello all!

Can someone shed some light on this?

I am trying to connect a PVP 6 to a PLC-5/30 through the serial ports because the old touch screen went dark.

I can program the plc from my pc using a combo of a 1784-CP10 and a 9300-USBS.

I've tried connecting the PLC-5/30 using the CP10 cable to the PVP 6. I only get error messages saying that the connection timed out. There's other threads that talk about this in a similar instance but I've tried...

- Setting up FTLINX differently... every combination
- Setting up FTLINX to look at RSLINX
- Deleting ethernet adapter out of FTLINX (bad idea, makes you reset touch screen if you want to program through ethernet...)
- Different tag shortcuts
- RSLINX can see the plc and FTLINX says connection found too but it shows a red x ??
- Confirmed dip switches on processor are set for RS232

Called AB and the guy said I need a 2711-nc13 cable but it makes zero sense as that is a 9 pin to 9 pin. Mine would be a 9-25.

Is this as simple as needing a 9 pin straight through to a 25 pin straight through since the CP10 is null modem? The guy said he didn't know how to answer that as what I had was "really old".

Thanks,

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

Pop a 9-pin null-modem adapter on that 1784-CP10 cable and it should work.

Way back in the 90's, someone decided that the PanelView Standard terminals should have a "DCE" type serial port, so when the PV+ was built in the early 2000's they chose to do the same.

Your PC is a "DTE" serial port, as is the PLC-5's serial port, so they need a "null modem" cable like the 1784-CP10.

To connect a DCE device, you just add a null-modem adapter to make the connection "straight through" again.

If you choose to build your own cable, get out proper pinouts: a "null modem" cable between 9-pin and 25-pin is actually 2-2, 3-3, 5-7, while the "straight through" cable you need is 2-3, 3-2, 5-7.