Connecting an already programmed PLC to another laptop.

RJ29

Hello everyone, i have a small issue that i need to solve. I had programmed a PLC last year, it was allen Bradley's L24ER , and now the PLC and the system is at a remote location. The site is facing some issues and the program requires modification. The person on site has studio 5000 software that i had used for programming, but he doesn't have the software. I was wondering if there's a way that he can use the software and take the system online there itself so that i can guide him what modifications to do. Will i have to follow the whole process of assigning IP addresses in software and then downloading the program from PLC to laptop for modifications or is there an easy way out.

The person on site has studio 5000 software that i had used for programming, but he doesn't have the software.

You mean he has the software but doesn't have the program?

If he has the software and you have the program, email it to him, get him to plug a lead into the PLC, you TeamView or similar on to his laptop and do the NIC and RsLinx setup to suit...

You mean he has the software but doesn't have the program?

If he has the software and you have the program, email it to him, get him to plug a lead into the PLC, you TeamView or similar on to his laptop and do the NIC and RsLinx setup to suit...

Thanks Patrick, that's exactly what is wanted to say, he has the software but not the program. The bad news is that i am not able to find the program otherwise i would have mailed it to him, but the good news is that PLC has the program inside it. Now, i was wondering if i can simply connect the PLC to laptop using ethernet cable and using studio 5000, by going into the communications tab, and using rs linx, can i connect and download the program back to laptop from PLC?

The correct terminology is upload, from the PLC to the Laptop... but yes.

Janner makes a valid point that USB should be simpler than an ethernet connection.

I can't remember what version that they started storing the rung comments inside the PLC, there is a chance that because you don't have the original file, when you upload the program, it will not have comments.

The correct terminology is upload, from the PLC to the Laptop... but yes.

Janner makes a valid point that USB should be simpler than an ethernet connection.

I can't remember what version that they started storing the rung comments inside the PLC, there is a chance that because you don't have the original file, when you upload the program, it will not have comments.

Even if i am not able to see the comments, if i have the ladder logic available i can map if with the labels, i have the document with me. Though it will be a headache, but still i hope it will work that way..

Hey everyone, i got the system online. studio 5000 has an option to upload program at the startup screen, luckily it worked for me, also the version 24 stores the rung comments so it was easy to modify the program.

thanks everyone.

Hey everyone, i got the system online. studio 5000 has an option to upload program at the startup screen, luckily it worked for me, also the version 24 stores the rung comments so it was easy to modify the program.

thanks everyone.

Still, Allways backup, backup and backup.

What if PLC have broked down competely, bye bye code:unsure:

RJ29 said:

thanks everyone.

That's good to hear.

Just to point out that for the 1769-L24ER controller, or other 5370 CompactLogix controllers,
it would not be a given that project documentation would always be stored in the controller. With respect to this feature, they, unfortunately, still have a "toe" dipped in the "undocumented ointment"...

As these controllers were introduced when RSLogix 5000 v20 was current, they may be flashed to firmware revision 20 minimum, or, since Studio 5000 v21, from firmware revision 21 up to the latest. Only if they are flashed to the latter will they support the storage of project documentation in the controller. A firmware revision 20 controller cannot save the documentation in the controller as RSLogix 5000 v20 software does not support this feature.

For v21 or later, this feature, "Download Project Documentation and Extended Properties" is enabled by default. So in general, or if users are not aware of it, the default is to automatically save this valuable information when downloading. If you disable the feature just before download, then of course a traditional download is performed and the project documentation would not be stored in the controller.

I would also strongly advise you to not rely solely on the fact that these controllers may now also store the project documentation. It is good and standard practice to save a project copy local to the site, remotely with yourself, and optionally a copy on the controller's SD card. That is, a full copy of the project ACD file manually transferred to the SD card, as opposed to the compiled copy of the project ACD we download to the controller's memory. You could also store other project documentation on the SD card, if you wish.

Another advantage of saving a copy of your project files on the SD card is that even if the controller clears its memory, the SD card will usually retain its contents. But still, in case of a catastrophy, such as fire, flooding, etc., it is prudent to retain copies in a safe place.

Regards,
George

:cry:

I play both Violin and Viola. Hopefully this thread has a happy ending and I won't need to console myself with either. There you are :ROFLMAO:

Why are violas bigger than violins? They aren't bigger; it just looks that way because the violinists head are bigger.

What is the difference between first chair viola and last chair viola? Two measures and half a step.

What is the difference between a viola and a washing machine? The washing machine has vibrato.

What is the difference between a 16-inch viola and and 18-inch viola? The 18-inch hold more beer and burns longer.

If you throw a 16-inch and an 18-inch viola off a tall building, which one hits the ground first? It doesn't matter.

P.S. My beautiful wife plays viola very well (you have not heard Ashokan's Farewell until you have heard it on a viola) and is tired of these jokes, but doesn't browse this forum, so thanks.