Connecting Mitsubishi GOT HMI to Eurotherm Controller - Modbus RTU

cornfieldeng

I am trying to get a Mitsubishi GT2715 HMI to read and write from a Eurotherm 3508 controller using 4 Wire RS485 Mobus RTU communications.

The Eurotherm has been ordered with a 4 Wire RS485 card and is set to Modbus communications, 9600bps, address 1.

The HMI is configured with the internal RS422/485 port as Modbus master with 9600bps, 8 data bit, 1 stop bit, no parity.

I have manufactured a short cable that is connected as follows;

HMI Eurotherm
Pin 1 - SDA HB - Rx+
Pin 2 - RDA HE - Tx+
Pin 5 - SG HD - Common
Pin 6 - SDB HC - Rx-
Pin 7 - RDB HF - Tx-

Pin 3 - RSA Linked to
Pin 4 - CSA

Pin 8 - RSB Linked to
Pin 9 - CSB

The above pinout is from the Mitsubishi Connection Manual (GOT2000-CON4-SW1-E) page 4-6, (3) RS-422/485 cable 2 (2 Pair wiring) and the Eurotherm Manual (HA027988) page 27, Figure 1-8: EIA232 and EIA485 Connections, EIA485 5-Wire Connections.

I have created a basic HMI application with a single output field looking at the actual values from the Eurotherm, which is address 400002.

When I power it up the HMI reports a communication error and the value is not displayed on the screen.

Any assistance is much appreciated.

Issue Resolved

In case it might help somebody in the future I have resolved the communications issue.

I swapped the A(+) and B(-) connections on the instrument and it now works correctly. Presumably the documentation is incorrect somewhere.

The EIA-485 standard does not 'define' the labeling of the RS-485 driver lines. Therefore, some manufacturer/vendors label the driver lines backwards of the other set of vendors.

One of the rules of RS-485 implementation is to swap the driver lines at one end when there is no comm but the configuration looks reasonable.

Some manuals do have errors, one of our engineers designed a MCC he used the diagrams from Telemechanique for the star/delta starters, on site while commissioning, every motor tripped with a big bang, turned out that the drawing he copied from the tele book was incorrect, looked at a previous version that was also incorrect, so in essence even though there were updated literature it contained at least some of the original errors.