Connecting Multiple HMI's

Tony_1371

Can I use 1 Micrologix 1100 to run multiple machines if all of those machines need their own HMI? 7 machines total but I could split it up if need be. I'm fairly new to programming but have the basics.

The program is easy, start, stop, safety relay, prox/counter (changeable), and speed control (I have the analog expansion output card); which is why I need an HMI per machine.

Assuming you will be connecting the MicroLogix 1100 to the HMI’s via Ethernet there shouldn’t be any reason you can’t do it. With 7 HMI’s you will probably want to make sure that the HMI’s are asking for updates to quickly. The other consideration is the maximum number of Ethernet connections the MicroLogix 1100 will accept. I don’t remember of the top of my head so someone else will have to chime in on that one (Ken?).

Page 220 of this manual details the number of connections your micrologix supports, which is 16 incoming.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1763-um001_-en-p.pdf

Note that some HMI's use more than one connection. If you can find the number of connections your HMI uses to a micrologix 1100. Also your programming software needs a connection, and if anyone else is browsing the network with RSLinx that uses a connection I believe.

You may know this already, but please note that ML1100 is not a safety rated controller, and any safety functions requiring a specific performance level should be implemented outside of this particular controller.

Welcome to the Forum !

In my opinion, a machine that is standalone enough to need its own HMI is also standalone enough to need its own controller, and ideally its own control cabinet.

If the logic controller failed, all seven machines would be out of commission. If the power supply providing 24V to the sensors failed, all seven machines would be out of commission. If the Ethernet switch failed, all seven machines would be out of commission.

If the program really is that simple, you might find an AC variable speed drive that can do all the functions onboard. Or you could use a programmable relay, or even one of those Micro 830 controllers.

And as mentioned, any time you talk about safety you need to do a risk evaluation and apply safety-rated hardware to the safety-related functions.