Connecting switches to PLC

jeibarra1

Hey guys,

I have a question. How would I wire a simple toggle switch to act as an input to the PLC? (one end of the switch to x, other to y, etc) I have just started with PLCs so all of this is new to me.

Thanks

It's not that simple, it will depend on the PLC and digital input card you have.
Some will power the circuit others will not. You may need external power for the switch.

Do you have any PLC brand and input card in mind?

Go to www.ab.com
On the left hand side go to 'Literature Library'
In the window that opens go to 'Programmable Controllers', open that and go to Micrologix 1000 system. Choose it.
Now you have a lot of possible literature on the Micrologix 1000. For this hookup you want the 'Installation Instructions' (1761-IN001C-EN-P). Read through it but pay attention to the section titled 'Sinking and Sourcing'. They have many examples.