Connecting to Siemens CPU

mitch11

Hello,

I'm attempting to connect to a Siemens S7-1200 CPU with an unknown IP address. I'm new to Siemens and also new to using VMware.

I've done some research online and tried using Siemens Primary Setup Tool to find the IP address and/or MAC address. I have had very little luck, and I'm unsure if it's an issue with the WMware settings or how I'm searching for the CPU.

VMware is set to Bridged with the replicate physical network connection state box checked. My network settings on VMware and laptop are both set to assign automatically (not sure which one needs changed - I would assume VMWare). My ethernet cable is connected from my laptop directly to the CPU.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Scanning for available nodes via a bridged connection in VMware requires that the virtual ethernet adapter is assigned the MAC address of the real ethernet adapter in the host.
With that it works for me.

You have to find the MAC address of the ethernet adapter on the host PC.
I do that by finding the adapter here:
Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections
.. right-click on the adapter and chose "status".
The MAC addrss will be displayes at "Physical address".

In VMware's settings for the VM in question, you open the "Advanced" settings for the virtual adapter that is bridged to the host adapter (in my example it is a custom adapter, but it the same for this topic). Set the MAC address to the same as the hosts MAC address.

Browsing for available MAC addresses should now work.
In order to do other things which almost always is by TCP/IP, make sure that the virtual network adapter and the host network adapter is in the same subnet, but still different addresses.
I.e. if host is 10.20.5.20, the VMware virtual adapter could be 10.20.5.21.

VMware_MAC_address.png