Control Logix CPU not in list in Logix5K when trying to create new project

defcon.klaxon

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

I'm starting work on a system and the processor for said project is a Control Logix 1756-L82. When I open Logix, however, that CPU is not in the list. Logix is version 24. Anyone have any idea why the L82 isn't in the list, and how I can start? I'm going to email my rep but I don't expect to hear back from him until tomorrow.

Thanks!

There is no v24 firmware for L8X controllers, they were released somewhere around v28 or so.

Last edited:
No. It shouldn't matter. You can maintain applications in different versions. Ideally they would all be the same, just to reduce confusion. But it isn't always possible to get them all to the same rev.

OG

OK thanks guys!

So it sounds like I need v29. Does that complicate the projects I have that were created in v24?

Just be careful, if you have PCs/equipment which have homebrew non-popular PLC tag reading software, you might want to check compatibility.

OK thanks guys!

So it sounds like I need v29. Does that complicate the projects I have that were created in v24?

You will need at least v29. Version 32 is the most current version. Given a choice, I would use v32. Version 33 comes out later this year.

OG

So seems like they are finally getting rid of legacy comms. Thoughts?

For me this means that I can't upgrade past 32 for my PLCs, unless we have some major capital projects to depreciate older PLCs.

I might have missed something, but the only thing I see related to not supporting legacy comms is redundancy with the L8x series. Beyond that I can't find anything else related to legacy comms. But again, maybe I missed something. I'm just going by what I see from the recent ROKLive event.

OG

As far as I know, Legacy support will be dropped from the L8 redundancy only.
V33 will support all legacy communications on all L7 and standard simplex L8 controllers.