Control Logix DH+ Gateway

eight_bools

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hey Guys,

I am trying to setup a Control Logix gateway to add a DH+ network to our plant Ethernet network. I have never done this before and I am not winning. The DH+ network had 6 nodes (2-7) and have 5 SLC and one PLC5. Everything on the network is working except for the 1756-DHRIO (node 10).

We used daisy chain wiring to each machine with one end being the DHRIO and the other being a machine. Each end has a 150ohm terminating resistor. My problem is that the DHRIO card is not being recognized on the DH+ network and when I browse to the DHRIO through the ENBT card It does not show any other nodes. I also cannot connect directly to the DHRIO card using the 8 pin octal connector using the 1784-U2DHP. When I tried that in RSLinx it did not show up while browsing.

I triple checked all the rotary switches, and it shows as being node 10 and 56k baud like the rest of the network. At first I thought that the cable may be bad somewhere, but the terminating resistor is getting warm.

I am starting to think that the card is bad, I dont know where it came from (I found it in our “junk drawer” room). I just realized I didn’t try channel B and may try that on when I get back to work. The message on the card says something like channel b is not scanning and channel a node 10 no other nodes.

I updated to the frimware to the latest and installed all the EDS files from the Rockwell software. I tried setting up the routing tables, but am not sure if I am doing it right.

My question is do the routing tables have to be configured if I am not trying to message? All I want to do is be able to go online with them wirelessly using our plant network. The card is a 1756-DHRIO series E. It seems like the other nodes should still show up if all I am trying to do is browse in RSLinx.

Does anyone know if the routing tables are required to browse or have any other thoughts?

Thanks

Routing tables are not required if all message origination is on Ethernet/ControlLogix side of the module. Like programming from your ethernet.

First thing I'd look at is the blue vs. clear wiring on the plugs. DH+ is opposite of RIO. Some devices have pin #1 up, others down.

I'd be the first to admit I'm no AB expert but I thought RIO and DH+ were different protocols. They use the same cabling and electrical signals but I didn't think that RIO couldn't participate in DH+ token passing. Could someone clarify this for me?

I'd be the first to admit I'm no AB expert but I thought RIO and DH+ were different protocols. They use the same cabling and electrical signals but I didn't think that RIO couldn't participate in DH+ token passing. Could someone clarify this for me?

The card is both DH+ and RIO so depending on the settings of the switches they can be either or

brandonspeaks72,
Are you able to see everything on the DH+ network? so can you drill down and see all nodes in the DH+ network? the first thing I do when setting up the 1756 is set it to default, obviously this is after I set the switches to the correct settings

brandonspeaks72 said:
Each end has a 150ohm terminating resistor

This is wrong... its the way I use to do it until Ken pointed out that you should only have two resistors one at each end

What I do... setup the DH+ network and make sure all nodes can be seen, then move to the DHRIO card and the ENBT, I do this with a U2DHP and simply wire it in 'at the point' where the 3 pin phoenix connector plugs into the DHRIO, if you see all nodes you know your DH+ network is good, then you can move on to the DHRIO and ENBT configuration.

Feature or bug - i think this is a knowledge base issue, Struggled on this one but worked out in end like always.
1756-DHRIO/E has a feature where you need to Restore Defaults. If you set the Link ID = 2 for Channel A and Link ID = 3 for Channel B. This does not matter for the PLC Typed Write command, it only wants to see Zero in the Link ID for both source and destination.

Little background...

The DHRIO has an "A" channel and a "B" channel. The channels operate independently and can be configured as either DH+ or RIO by setting the rotary dials.

The round mini-din connector only works for the "A" channel so to test Channel B, plug your U2DHP into one of the other devices on the network and see if the DHRIO appears.

What messages are scrolling on the DHRIO?

OG

Also the 1-S-2 pins for DH+ are backwards from what the SLC and PLC have. I guess AB figured to make it match RIO on the diagram.
So maybe swap the clear/blue.

Also the 1-S-2 pins for DH+ are backwards from what the SLC and PLC have. I guess AB figured to make it match RIO on the diagram.
So maybe swap the clear/blue.

No, AB made DH+ and RIO use opposite colors deliberately. The gotcha is the orientation of pin 1 is different on some devices.

I got confused by the plug orientation lots of times in the early 2000's when the 1756-DHRIO first came out. The pin numbers and orientations on the connector itself are the same, but the connector faces the opposite direction, so when you look at a PLC-5 and a DHRIO, they appear "swapped" top to bottom.

Aside: WOOT ! 16001 posts !

blue_clear_DHplus.png

Hey Guys

Sorry for the long pause, I ended up going out of town and just got back to the plant this morning.

This is wrong... its the way I use to do it until Ken pointed out that you should only have two resistors one at each end

This seems to come up a lot in the searches, the wording is confusing. I was using a total of 2 resistors on the entire network. One at each end of the line.

I got confused by the plug orientation lots of times in the early 2000's when the 1756-DHRIO first came out. The pin numbers and orientations on the connector itself are the same, but the connector faces the opposite direction, so when you look at a PLC-5 and a DHRIO, they appear "swapped" top to bottom.

This ended up being the problem, I swear I checked the diagram 3 times but still missed it.

Routing tables are not required if all message origination is on Ethernet/ControlLogix side of the module. Like programming from your ethernet.

I am not doing any messaging at the moment, just going online for troubleshooting and edits. I will eventually need some messages for downtime monitoring, I will probably be back.

Thanks a lot to everyone for your help.